Menu

Vocabulary for a 12yo?

I haven't done any vocabulary work w/dd yet & probably should start. She does Latin & she reads widely, but a few minutes of directed work per day would be helpful. I'm not sure what to buy. I've looked at MCT (have we missed the Caesar's English bus?), Vocabulary Vine, Vocabulary Workshop & Vocabulary from Classical Roots. I glanced at Science Roots, but decided to have her start memorizing from Sourcebook for Teaching Science instead.

What has worked well in your house?

We generally use words pulled from their reading, some kids do this independently, others need a little nudge, so I give them a list.

I remember using Wordsmart books in high school; I believe they were aimed at college testing goals, but I recall coming across them often in literature.

There is a "junior" version of this for grades 6-8 available. It may be along the lines of what you're looking for.

We use Vocabulary Workshop, and it works really well for my son.

Okay, I can admit it . . . I also did the entire VW series way back in the age of dinosaurs when I was in middle school as well, only in public school :D. The books have been updated considerably, but it is the same high quality program I remembered. I like that in addition to addressing really good vocabulary from several different directions, including putting it in context, it also introduces synonyms, antonyms, and analogies, all of which are good skills to build up before SAT time arrives!

My son already has a great vocabulary through reading, but I feel VW is leaving him guessing at fewer words in his more challenging reading, and building up good context clue skills as well as those SAT skills.

I haven't done any vocabulary work w/dd yet & probably should start. She does Latin & she reads widely, but a few minutes of directed work per day would be helpful. I'm not sure what to buy. I've looked at MCT (have we missed the Caesar's English bus?), Vocabulary Vine, Vocabulary Workshop & Vocabulary from Classical Roots. I glanced at Science Roots, but decided to have her start memorizing from Sourcebook for Teaching Science instead.

What has worked well in your house?

We use Vocabu-Lit and love it.

Every lesson follows the same pattern, so it's super easy to use independently. Each lesson uses a piece of real literature and focuses on 10 master words, working with them in 6 exercises. The first exercise is a self test, so this is easy to spread out over a week. Each of the succeeding exercises cover definitions, synonyms and antonyms, context, analogies and a playing with the words exercise. There is a separate teacher key with the answers, and I guess a test booklet is available, but I never looked into that. I just have DS write a paragraph at the end of the week which must include each master word. He enjoys that creative challenge. The price is great for the workbooks and I've found the teacher keys used on Amazon and even got one for free on Paperback swap. :)

Here's the link: http://www.perfectionlearning.com/vocabu-lit-program

They also sell these at Rainbow Resource

Edited by JustGin

To be honest, they're probably all really good. At our house, though, we've been using VFCR for the past few years and dd is doing extremely well. I'm amazed at the words she now uses and can spell correctly.

BTW, the curriculum doesn't require it, but I do a spelling test a couple of times per month. If she misses one, she has to write it ten times and its added to the next test.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We use Vocabu-Lit and love it.

Every lesson follows the same pattern, so it's super easy to use independently. Each lesson uses a piece of real literature and focuses on 10 master words, working with them in 6 exercises. The first exercise is a self test, so this is easy to spread out over a week. Each of the succeeding exercises cover definitions, synonyms and antonyms, context, analogies and a playing with the words exercise. There is a separate teacher key with the answers, and I guess a test booklet is available, but I never looked into that. I just have DS write a paragraph at the end of the week which must include each master word. He enjoys that creative challenge. The price is great for the workbooks and I've found the teacher keys used on Amazon and even got one for free on Paperback swap. :)

Here's the link: http://www.perfectionlearning.com/vocabu-lit-program

They also sell these at Rainbow Resource

My 13yo is a vocab nut and she loves Vocabu-lit. We also use Book of Roots, from Memoria Press.