Menu

Singapore Math 1A - Do I need anything else besides the textbook, workbook and HIG?

pitterpatter

DD's just about finished with SM Earlybird. I'm trying to nail down exactly what we need for SM 1A Standards. We already have the textbook and workbook. The material looks a lot like Earlybird, except presented in a little bit more advanced format.

Keeping in mind that my DD will have just turned five when we start 1A, do I need any additional supplements besides the HIG? Most of the stuff looks as though it will likely be fairly easy for her (basic counting, shapes, pattern, weights). However, I "think" the addition and subtraction is on par with her current abilities. I can't imagine needing "extra" practice, but I'm not sure how intense, intensiveness practice is. (Can't really tell from the samples.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what I buy. Should I get the intensive practice to have on hand or just see how 1A goes? Do I need the word problems? :confused:

We used SM Earlybird for kindergarten and then SM 1A and 1B for first grade. We used only the HIG, the textbook, and the workbook. At that level I really can't imagine what the supplemental books would do. The HIG has suggestions for games, etc. We kept right to the weekly schedule in the HIG and moved along without any problems.

For 2nd grade I did buy the Intensive Practice book, but we have scarcely used it. I might use it during the summer in order to keep her from forgetting what she learned, however.

Thank you! This is very helpful. :D

We used SM Earlybird for kindergarten and then SM 1A and 1B for first grade. We used only the HIG, the textbook, and the workbook. At that level I really can't imagine what the supplemental books would do. The HIG has suggestions for games, etc. We kept right to the weekly schedule in the HIG and moved along without any problems.

For 2nd grade I did buy the Intensive Practice book, but we have scarcely used it. I might use it during the summer in order to keep her from forgetting what she learned, however.

We have lots of supplements, but thats because DD has the same natural aptitude for Maths as I had (don't you love genes? lol) so I wanted to develop that fully. Supplements are also good to make sure you understand a subject fully, especially if you get them in different "ways".

i.e. the Challenging word problems is laid out/presented differently from the main workbook, so if you did want to get just one supplement, I would suggest that, as its meant to go along with it, so fits better. We have the Intensive Practives, CWP and Process Skills or something with an alien on it LOL. I also have Life of Freds Elementary series and Maths for a living education, both of these are more story type living maths books.

Really all you need is the books you have an manipulatives, if she doesn't "get" a certain part, play around with the manipulatives and ideas from the HIG. Worst case, if shes really failing on a certain "area" (addition, fractions, whatever) get a digital program that will cover just that one area (math mammoth etc) that way you have hte item instantly and when you need it, but without spending extra monet unless you need to.

Earlybird has an A and B level. When I purchased A, I purchased the textbook (which is more like a workbook, really), activity book and teacher's guide. I was brand new to home-schooling and had no clue how well DD would do. After two weeks, we dropped the activity book because it was extra practice DD didn't need. (Earlybird A is pretty simple anyway.) Now, people will tell you that you don't need the teacher's guide since there are little prompts at the bottom of the student textbook pages. Like I said, I was brand new to home-schooling. I'm super glad I bought it, as it is scripted and there are extras in it (manipulatives you can cut out too). It really helped me build confidence as a teacher. Technically, I probably didn't need it for Earlybird B, as I was more skilled by then, but I'm still glad to have it. Earylbird B teaches number bonds, additional and subtraction, time and money. Harder stuff.

At the bare minimum, you need the textbook and general math manipulatives (counters and such...a simple balance too). I recommend the teacher's guide as well. The activity book really isn't needed. Using it is like kicking a dead horse, IMO.

I started Earlybird with DD when she was 4 years, 4 months old. Generally, we did one lesson per day. Sometimes, we did two. Looking back, I could have accelerated and finished in half to two-thirds of the time, but I wanted to be sure I didn't assume that DD knew something. I'm glad I didn't, as I would have hopped over some important math terminology. And, there was a time or two that I thought for sure DD would already know the material, but it turned out that she wasn't as solid on it as I had thought. ;)

Pitterpatter,

What all is necessary for the Earlybird program? And when did you start it?

Thanks!

LOL! That's what's hard to figure out. DD is my one and only. She's simply who she is. I have no other children to compare her to. She seems "bright", but we're already working a grade ahead, so would she need to be extra bright for the IP? ;) That's what I'm trying to figure out. I want to push her potential, but not bog her down.

Does the IP go hand-in-hand with the textbook and workbook or is it almost like it's own little program? Is there extra harder stuff for shapes, patterns, weights, etc.? I think she definitely needs more challenging material for those things.

For a bright child, I would definitely add the IP.

CBD has some samples of the 1A IP on its website.

The IP definitely kicks up the challenge level from the text/wb. Each topic in the textbook has a corresponding chapter in IP, but the sequence follows the U.S. edition rather than the standards edition. It hasn't been a problem for us using the U.S. ed. IP's with the SE program.

Well, duh. Why didn't I think of looking there? I look at their samples all of the time. :tongue_smilie:

I think I will go ahead and get the intensive practice, as it looks easy to possibly challenging for DD. I just didn't want it to be over-the-top challenging where she would be instantly turned off by it. Maybe I'll go ahead and get the word problems book this time around too. Next time, I'll know for sure that way, I guess.

Thanks for everyone's help!

CBD has some samples of the 1A IP on its website.

The IP definitely kicks up the challenge level from the text/wb. Each topic in the textbook has a corresponding chapter in IP, but the sequence follows the U.S. edition rather than the standards edition. It hasn't been a problem for us using the U.S. ed. IP's with the SE program.