Menu

Secular Preschool Curriculum

jenangelcat

I found a ton of great preschool books in the educator section of Barnes and Noble, and we did stuff from those.

Two of my favorites were Count on Math, and Science is Simple. They're both published by Gryphon House, which has tons of other great preschool books.

I liked Peak With Books, too.

The Letter of the Week curriculum was good. I actually preferred the toddler curriculum, which has a little theme each week (I think the first week is cows). I used that as a framework for a while, and just added other activities that are better for slightly older kids.

The Scholastic Teacher Express store has some great teacher curriculum books. They go on sale fairly often, and they have a $1 sale every year: I think in August. I've bought some GREAT books there. I also like buying their coloring books, and I print out a sheet whenever I need to keep my kids busy for a bit. There's one that's called Month-by-Month preschool almanac, and it has 4 different themed weeks for each month (including summer, which is very nice) with read aloud recs, and craft project ideas, and art projects. The Teacher Express site is nice too, because they let you preview a great deal of the book before you buy it.

Bonus points if it's free or cheap.

:)

I have a hodgepodge of resources, but have found that I greatly prefer pulling together various resources based on my child's interest, ability, and my own schedule, rather than using something boxed and pre-planned.

I am using OPGTR as my "spine" for phonics but incorporating lots and lots of phonics activities and games that reinforce the skills in OPGTR. The same with math - I use Singapore Earlybird as my spine but use lots of other resources. I haven't really used a thematic curriculum yet, but am going to start using the Evan-Moor themes now that my ds is definitely ready.

Online Curricula:

More.Starfall for phonics/reading, songs/rhymes, math, puzzles, everything! Includes printables. ($35/year)

DreamBox for math - very good scope/sequence ($40/year through HSBC)

Reading Bear for phonics/reading (Free)

Progressive Phonics (Free)

Reading Eggs ($56 through HSBC - might be better for K or 1st?)

Online resources:

Handwriting sheets (lots of places, or use the ones on Starfall)

Scholastic Teacher Express for ebooks

Evan-Moor website for ebooks

Print curricula:

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading by SWB (also avail. as pdf download)

All About Reading Pre-1 or 1

Primary Art of Language (I think it's secular) by IEW (NOT CHEAP!)

Preschool Plus by Hewitt Homeschool (literature based) (hm, hard to find)

Evan-Moor Early Thematic Units (available from a huge number of retailers, or the grayscale ebooks on the Evan-Moor website - these are great! A little setup to laminate & cut pieces, but then it's open & go)

Singapore Earlybird or Essentials Math

Print resources:

Williamson Little Hands books for crafts and activities

Mudpies to Magnets for science

Science Play

Seasonal Science

Its not secular, but its easy enough to ignore the bible bits, so I would suggest

Bright Beginnings

Its available from rainbow resource, two books $40, and a whole 1-2years (depending on how slow you take it) curriculum in phonics, maths, health, fitness, everything.

I prefer secular stuff too, as I like to keep my bible teachings completely seperate from the rest of the curriculum.

We're using Bright beginnings this year to do fitness ideas in for all of them and it will become E's preschool curriculum next year.

My 2nd child was a late talker and I really liked the Core Knowledge What Your Preschooler Needs to Know activity book for him. Very inexpensive, but I don't know about its availability in Canada.

I love these books, too. We got so much out of just the short science section in What Your Preschooler Needs to Know. I found a ton of other books and activities on the themes presented in there. I also loved the poems and songs and stories.