Menu

Daily Grammar Practice program

redsquirrel

Is anyone here familiar with this program? I am intrigued, but I have never seen it discussed. I would, of course, do a board search before asking, but the title is full of so many general words that I know I will get a mess of a search. I thought I should ask first to narrow my search.

They also have Daily Latin, French and Spanish Grammar Practice

http://www.dgppublishing.com/index.htm

We use Easy Grammar which looks identical to the Daily Grammar (as far as I can tell) and I really like it. I actually am considering dropping any formal grammar and just going with that and picking up anything we miss through natural daily learning.

Ok I hope that we are talking about the same thing! Sorry if I am not!

• 4 weeks later...

I've looked at this program for years and am considering taking the plunge this next schoolyear. I also have not been able to find many comments or reviews on DGP. It looks very efficient and solid to me! The concept is that you work with the same sentence for a few minutes each day for a week. The first day you parse, the second day you identify verb tenses, subject/predicate, and other sentence parts, the next day you identify the type of sentence, the next you write the sentence with correct punctuation and capitalization, and the next you either diagram it or write a new sentence. The next week you get a new sentence and they gradually increase in difficulty over the year.

The website is a little hard to find your way around on so here is a link to a pdf of the Scope and Sequence along with samples across all grades.

The second edition now has sentences taken from classic literature. YEAH!

Edited by birchbark

• 2 months later...

Bumping this back up because I think THIS might be what I am looking for. I'd love something so efficient but FORMAL (in terms of grammar) that might leave room for a more creative or natural approach such as Intermediate Language Lessons or.....

It's been almost 3 months since this thread started. Anyone taking the plunge? I really think it looks solid and less mind numbing than Rod & Staff. I like Rod & Staff but I'd like something simpler but still highly effective. I don't know if it would be but I'm THIS CLOSE to trying it with my boys this year.

I plunged as far as buying it. :001_smile: We won't be starting until after Labor Day though. I am loving the look of it.

I just saw this on another post and my questions is in the teaching of the lessons. Does the TM give you instructions on teaching the parts of speech and sentence and the diagramming or should the student already know this and use this program for practice?

I just saw this on another post and my questions is in the teaching of the lessons. Does the TM give you instructions on teaching the parts of speech and sentence and the diagramming or should the student already know this and use this program for practice?

Found this The FAQ says also that all information is in the student's reference notes as well.

:bigear: Birchbark, How does it look in real life? Can you compare and contrast to Rod and Staff? :001_smile:

If you look at this link you can see the scope and sequence as well as samples across all grades (keep scrolling). It's the same one I posted earlier in the thread.

I have not used it yet, but it looks as thorough as R&S and so much more effficient.

It is more of a whole-to-parts way of learning than R&S. There are no scripted lessons; you learn by doing. All the info you need for that level is organized in just a few pages at the beginning of the book that you reference as you go through the lessons. For those students who have a hard time taking initiative with their learning and who need lots of hand-holding, that may be a challenging aspect.

I like that sentence analysis is the basis of the program; after all, that is the purpose of grammar instruction. I also like how they have you stay with the same sentence for a whole week and really get to know it.

DGP is grammar, usage, and mechanics. It does not contain writing instruction as does R&S or lessons on such things as dictionary use, phone courtesy, or introductions. :001_smile:

Edited by birchbark

Do you need the TM or just the student book? :bigear:

You could get away with either by itself. The TM includes teaching notes, the answers, pretests, and a s&s chart, so you would want to be really solid in grammar yourself to go the route of workbook with no TM. I would not recommend it for the upper levels.

You also could get just the TM, but then you would need to write out the sentence for your student to copy. He also would need access to the reference notes in the TM as he goes along, with the fortitude not to look at the answers in the rest of the book. :001_smile:

Both books contain the reference notes for that level.

I got both books, which is definitely the easiest way to use the program. The TM is non-consumable.

Edited by birchbark

We used it for a semester when EK was in 10th grade. I bought the Bible version Level IV (grades 7 & 8); EK had been through R&S as far as English 7 and used Easy Grammar after that, and she still found DGP to be challenging. She is no slouch at grammar, either: her score on the English portion of the ACT was 35 (the only time she took the ACT).

Ladies,

Are you going to use DPG on grade level? I am convinced it is a perfect choice for my oldest though I am not sure about my 2nd grader. I guess I will choose Grade 4?? EEeeeeks.

I'm thinking about ordering the second grade program (or the first grade)for my 2nd grader (will be 3rd grade in the fall) to finish out this year. I'm afraid if I dump her right into the third grade program next year, it will be too difficult.

It looks great, but advanced, IMO, from the grade level samples I looked at online.

Ladies,

Are you going to use DPG on grade level? I am convinced it is a perfect choice for my oldest though I am not sure about my 2nd grader.

I just noticed that it begins in 1st grade. Is this overkill? I just don't know....

It does look advanced. I'm trying to decide if I should put my rising 6th grader in the 6th or 5th level. He did all 4 levels of FLL and is now doing GWG level 6. The GWG is easy for him so far. He's about 1/2 through the book. FLL did such a good job of laying that rigorous foundation. :001_smile: So I haven't decided what to do with him.

My middle ds will continue with FLL and then move to DPG in 5th at the 5th grade level.

Well, I am less certain now. My oldest picks up grammar quickly but we have never completed a level,of anything and he doesn't know parts of speech. Perhaps we should do a year of FLL for foundation and then look at DGP. I really do not want grammar to be center stage and DGP looks more like a supportive approach.

Sigh. Every time I try to leave Rod and Staff I end up not leaving due to my insecurities.

I guess we could try both for a year.....FLL is 3 days a week. DGP could be used a level behind. Then, I would know whether or not it is enough and where to place e kids.

Well, I am less certain now. My oldest picks up grammar quickly but we have never completed a level,of anything and he doesn't know parts of speech. Perhaps we should do a year of FLL for foundation and then look at DGP. I really do not want grammar to be center stage and DGP looks more like a supportive approach.

Sigh. Every time I try to leave Rod and Staff I end up not leaving due to my insecurities.

I guess we could try both for a year.....FLL is 3 days a week. DGP could be used a level behind. Then, I would know whether or not it is enough and where to place e kids.

I would put your ds in FLL 3 then if you wanted that route. It will teach him the parts of speech and then some.

I think doing FLL to the end (level 4) and then switching to DGP level 5 would be perfect.

I think I'll let my oldest look at the samples, and see what he thinks where he should be.

Ladies,

Are you going to use DPG on grade level? I am convinced it is a perfect choice for my oldest though I am not sure about my 2nd grader.

I just noticed that it begins in 1st grade. Is this overkill? I just don't know....

I am going to use level 5 with my dd who will be 9 in the fall. We went through MCT Island last year and some of KISS. I expect it to be challenging but doable for her. I also plan to tweak it a bit and help as needed with the diagramming. Since we are just starting, I can't give placement advice, but regarding your latest post...

I do not get the feeling that DGP is a program where you should know everything before starting. Birchbark said this perfectly in the other thread, something about how they just throw you in the thick of it. You will struggle, and some sentences will be easier and some harder. But you hopefully learn from your mistakes as you go. This approach may not be for everyone, but if you are interested in it I think you could start at level 3 or 4 without a problem.

I think doing FLL to the end (level 4) and then switching to DGP level 5 would be perfect.

I also agree with this. I don't plan to start DGP until level 5 with my youngers. I will use what I have on hand (Sentence Family/MCT Island) until that point.

I'm thinking about ordering the second grade program (or the first grade)for my 2nd grader (will be 3rd grade in the fall) to finish out this year. I'm afraid if I dump her right into the third grade program next year, it will be too difficult.

It looks great, but advanced, IMO, from the grade level samples I looked at online.

Yes, IME it is quite advanced. I would suggest using at least one level below your child's grade level.

• 1 year later...