Menu

A few curriculum ??'s...I'm almost there!!

LAinVA

I've nailed down what I want to use for my dd this upcoming year. She is in 2nd grade in ps; but now is excited about homeschooling next year! I do have some questions about what level to start some of these subjects. Although she is in 2nd grade; she reads at a high 3rd grade level.

Math Mammoth 3: Thinking of starting MM 2 over the summer so she gets the mental math concepts. Also going to order the workbooks from RR instead of printing. Does anyone use these? Are they lacking in any way since they are only printed in B&W?

Life of Fred (starting at Apples) will do as supplement/fun, not daily; but I hear she may demand it :)

Harcourt Horizons Social Studies 3 (saxonhomeschool)

Nancy Larson Science: Not sure if I should go with 2 or 3

MCT Island: should I add a writing program?

Spelling Power

Reading Detective

HWOT

DD is so eager to get started. She made me find her worksheets and such in all the subjects yesterday so she could "get started". I have a feeling I need to go ahead and place an order soon!

It looks good to me, but I am no expert and don't know much about the programs you picked so.........

Does she need handwriting instruction? If she already knows how to form her letters, I would skip the HWOT and add in WWE or some other copywork or writing instruction program. Unless the MCT is the writing instruction, in which case ignore me. Also ignore me if she does need handwriting instruction. :D

I'm mostly here to give you a big, "HAVE FUN!!!!" :grouphug:

My plan is to use MCT with WWE. WWE focuses on different skills, and is more explicit in its instruction than MCT. What are you going to be reading for literature?

I was considering using WWE as a back up if it was needed for writing. For literature I am going to use the library A LOT. Reading classics and some of the books that Sonlight lists in their core program. Do I need something more formal?

Looks like a great mix! You might want to look at a history program. Good luck and have fun!

The Harcourt Horizons got a great review from Cathy Duffy; but Grade 3 does seem light on the History part. I was contemplating getting the SOTW cd's and listening to those and then reading some books to delve deeper into certain areas. Hmmm, maybe I should just do SOTW (books) and not the other. Do you like SOTW? One main requirement for me is that it can't be boring. I know that may sound silly; but I remember being bored to death throughout all my years in History. My ds (14) complains about it too.

I was considering using WWE as a back up if it was needed for writing. For literature I am going to use the library A LOT. Reading classics and some of the books that Sonlight lists in their core program. Do I need something more formal?

No, you don't. I just wanted to make sure you child was going to be exposed to some good books. :)

The Harcourt Horizons got a great review from Cathy Duffy; but Grade 3 does seem light on the History part. I was contemplating getting the SOTW cd's and listening to those and then reading some books to delve deeper into certain areas. Hmmm, maybe I should just do SOTW (books) and not the other. Do you like SOTW? One main requirement for me is that it can't be boring. I know that may sound silly; but I remember being bored to death throughout all my years in History. My ds (14) complains about it too.

We did SOTW CD's and delved deeper in certain areas. I decided on the goal of loving history (not memorizing dates or facts, no busy work projects--though occasionally some writing related to history studies)--it seemed to work great!!!

We have used WWE, and will finish off what I already of it have bit by bit, but it was my son's least favorite of his various writing programs. I'd suggest you at least consider IEW. And read the threads about using it "across the curriculum".

We did SOTW CD's and delved deeper in certain areas. I decided on the goal of loving history (not memorizing dates or facts, no busy work projects--though occasionally some writing related to history studies)--it seemed to work great!!!

We have used WWE, and will finish off what I already of it have bit by bit, but it was my son's least favorite of his various writing programs. I'd suggest you at least consider IEW. And read the threads about using it "across the curriculum".

Thanks for the insight. I'll check into IEW.

Just check the actual samples of the worksheets from Nancy Larson verrrrry carefully before you buy it, not just the shiny toys that come with the program. NL has both people who absolutely love it here, and people who absolutely hate it. The descriptions sound great, but the best test for it are not in the descriptions, but in actually looking at the sample worksheets online-- see if they match up to what you want science to look like in terms of difficulty and depth. If they are, then GREAT! If not, then there are other options available.

Overall, I think your plan looks terrific. I started my younger son halfway through second grade, and it has been so rewarding for both of us!