Menu

Dorm essentials

Plucky

The university recommends bringing bed pad, bedding, towels, alarm clock, & study lamp.

I'm adding to the list:

Shower caddy

Power strip

Lockable trunk

Febreeze (stinky guys)

can opener

1 set utensils, a few plates, cups, & bowls all micro safe

Laundry detergent

Quarters

Fan

Hamper

A microwave & fridge tbd later when we talk to his future roommate.

He doesn't drink coffee so no coffee maker.

I don't want to over pack by any means but what are we missing?

I got this list when my oldest was off to college. By no means did he take it all. But it gave some ideas for things that we decided were a must.

I also got him an umbrella, he thought it was stupid until the rain was bad and he was walking to class. Yes it got used.

I got him a corning ware dish to cook in at Good will.

Shoot I can't upload it here. I tried to reformat and it won't work.

you can pm me and I'll send it too you.

I have a link for a pdf file if anyone wants it just pm me

Edited by ZooRho

Guys are SO MUCH easier than girls when it comes to packing.....

My girls' list would be much longer, but your list looks just about right for a guy.

Find out if there is under bed storage. My dd's keep laundry baskets under their beds for books, towels, shoes etc.

Also, find out if they let you hang anything on the walls, and if so what kind of adhesive do they allow? I buy my girls 3M hooks and wall hangers every fall.

Girls may care more about decorating their rooms, but maybe he'd appreciate a poster?

A medicine kit- tylenol/ibuprofen, ace bandages if he's athletic, a thermometer- nothing can drive you crazy like a kid calling home complaining that they are sick, and they don't know if they have a fever!

Guys are SO MUCH easier than girls when it comes to packing.....

My girls' list would be much longer, but your list looks just about right for a guy.

Find out if there is under bed storage. My dd's keep laundry baskets under their beds for books, towels, shoes etc.

Also, find out if they let you hang anything on the walls, and if so what kind of adhesive do they allow? I buy my girls 3M hooks and wall hangers every fall.

Girls may care more about decorating their rooms, but maybe he'd appreciate a poster?

A medicine kit- tylenol/ibuprofen, ace bandages if he's athletic, a thermometer- nothing can drive you crazy like a kid calling home complaining that they are sick, and they don't know if they have a fever!

Good ideas. The dorm we are interested have all different kinds of dorm configurations from bunks, to loft beds and singles. We'll probably have to take a trip up soon after we get him settled to bring a few more things.

Several years ago Gwen in VA posted the master list. You can find it here. Amazingly thorough.

I used the list Jane linked as a starting point for packing when dd went off to uni. Some of the things on the list weren't applicable to dd, but others (like a basic first aid & med kit) I hadn't thought of & dd did in the end find useful.

My son had me Amazon Prime him a strip of foam padding (like a foam bumper sold to pad the edges of coffee tables, etc. if you have toddlers in the house - in fact it is the same thing ;) ) to fasten to the edge of the bunkbed after he brained himself a few times.

He also got a large, lightweight white board and Command strips to fasten to the wall - very helpful when working out large equations, etc.

Amazon Prime for YOU is great (yes, there is a year-long student version) I have Amazon send CollegeMan the above edging, texts (some cheaper at Amazon than school bookstore), cases of heat n' eat food, Swedish Fish (an essential for late night studies ;) ) and a new book bag when he torn apart.

I used the list Jane linked as a starting point for packing when dd went off to uni. Some of the things on the list weren't applicable to dd, but others (like a basic first aid & med kit) I hadn't thought of & dd did in the end find useful.

Exactly. I also had my son look at the list. He only selected 2 extra items that I hadn't hilighted. I wouldn't have known nor he remembered otherwise. Great list.

My son had me Amazon Prime him a strip of foam padding (like a foam bumper sold to pad the edges of coffee tables, etc. if you have toddlers in the house - in fact it is the same thing ;) ) to fasten to the edge of the bunkbed after he brained himself a few times.

He also got a large, lightweight white board and Command strips to fasten to the wall - very helpful when working out large equations, etc.

Amazon Prime for YOU is great (yes, there is a year-long student version) I have Amazon send CollegeMan the above edging, texts (some cheaper at Amazon than school bookstore), cases of heat n' eat food, Swedish Fish (an essential for late night studies ;) ) and a new book bag when he torn apart.

Yes, I love prime. I am guessing I will be using it more than I know to send him things.

Foam mattress topper (dorm mattresses tend to be hard)

A long ethernet cable to connect a laptop to the internet if the wireless internet is slow. Long so it reaches anywhere in the room when plugged in. All my dc have wireless internet in their dorms, but they all have used the ethernet cable at times because it is faster than wireless when watching movies that buffer ior video chatting, or in case there is an area with spotty wireless coverage.

3M hanging hooks and picture hangers (don't harm dorm walls) These are the only thing allowed in my dc's dorms for hanging anything on the walls.