Menu

Sloppy Joes.......need fantastic, yummy recipe

I made "pizza joes" last night. I browned the meat with diced onions, bell pepper, and celery. Then I added basil, oregano and garlic. Add to that a jar of marinara sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add salt if needed. I served them over french roll "buns" with provelone and parmesean. Five kids and two adults scarfed them down :)

I made "pizza joes" last night. I browned the meat with diced onions, bell pepper, and celery. Then I added basil, oregano and garlic. Add to that a jar of marinara sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add salt if needed. I served them over french roll "buns" with provelone and parmesean. Five kids and two adults scarfed them down :)

Apryl, That sounds good and I'll make those another time. Do you bake in oven? Thanks for sharing....I have a new menu to add to my monthly list.

Well, I'm kinda embarassed to post it, 'cause it's certainly not a 'fantastic' recipe. But my crew loves these...

Brown however much ground beef we want. Then add ketchup, bbq sauce, and mustard. I never measure, but basically you use a 4:2:1 ratio of ketchup:bbq:mustard. I just do it to taste, and keep adding in those ratios until there's enough sauce.

Aaaand, that's it. LOL. No onions, peppers, celery, etc. 'Cause my boys wouldn't eat that. :D

ETA: I actually learned this recipe from dss who had made it with his mother. That's certainly a bonus of having stepkids; I have a fellow mom that I can get meal ideas from that I know at least the stepkids will like. And the stepkids have taken ideas from our house to hers, too. Nice unexpected bonus of having a blended family.

Edited by bethanyniez

I love this stuff! I got the recipe off of a "college boys" blog years ago. The original had more sugar and spice.

Yield: approx. 4 1/2 cups

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

6 oz. tomato paste (Contadina is my fav!)

1 cup water

1 tsp. distilled white vinegar (apple cider vinegar is a little too fruity)

2 Tbs. brown sugar

1 Tbs. chili powder

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. crushed oregano

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until softened. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.

Add water and vinegar. Stir in tomato paste until smooth.

Add spices. Simmer approximately 10 minutes.

Serve on toasted hamburger buns. 1/4 cup for a small bun.

Personally, I like a little more salt. :)

The original recipe had:

1 onion

1 red bell pepper

3 cloves garlic

3 Tbsp. brown sugar

1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

This is my favorite sloppy joe recipe. It taste great and no one has ever guessed that there is cabbage in it. Not even my super picky kid who thinks cabbage is the devil.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cabbage-sloppy-joes/detail.aspx

This is pretty close to what I'm looking for. Years ago when dh and I lived in MI, I thought we ran across a sloppy joe layered with cole slaw on top. I can't find a recipe, but can wing it perhaps. Now I'm thinking sloppy joe layered with onion strings on top would be delicious!!! THANKS!

Well, I'm kinda embarassed to post it, 'cause it's certainly not a 'fantastic' recipe. But my crew loves these...

Brown however much ground beef we want. Then add ketchup, bbq sauce, and mustard. I never measure, but basically you use a 4:2:1 ratio of ketchup:bbq:mustard. I just do it to taste, and keep adding in those ratios until there's enough sauce.

Aaaand, that's it. LOL. No onions, peppers, celery, etc. 'Cause my boys wouldn't eat that. :D

ETA: I actually learned this recipe from dss who had made it with his mother. That's certainly a bonus of having stepkids; I have a fellow mom that I can get meal ideas from that I know at least the stepkids will like. And the stepkids have taken ideas from our house to hers, too. Nice unexpected bonus of having a blended family.

Bethany, This is a good foundation! I love the BBQ idea and will do that tonight. THANKS!

Here's mine! It actually came from allrecipes originally. We love it, and most of the time I use ground turkey instead of beef.

Wonderful, THANKS!

I love this stuff! I got the recipe off of a "college boys" blog years ago. The original had more sugar and spice.

Yield: approx. 4 1/2 cups

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

6 oz. tomato paste (Contadina is my fav!)

1 cup water

1 tsp. distilled white vinegar (apple cider vinegar is a little too fruity)

2 Tbs. brown sugar

1 Tbs. chili powder

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. crushed oregano

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until softened. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.

Add water and vinegar. Stir in tomato paste until smooth.

Add spices. Simmer approximately 10 minutes.

Serve on toasted hamburger buns. 1/4 cup for a small bun.

Personally, I like a little more salt. :)

The original recipe had:

1 onion

1 red bell pepper

3 cloves garlic

3 Tbsp. brown sugar

1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

LOVE this too! THANKS!

I think I'm going to combine aspects from all of you and attempt the first WTM Gourmet Sloppy Joe! :D Thanks, y'all!