Menu

Dr. Hive - Name that rash!

My 6-year-old has these raised bumps on his skin. They're randomly on his body. A patch on his belly (shown in the pics), two on his upper arm, a single one on his back, and one on his upper thigh. They look like pimples, but... He says they don't itch, and they don't hurt unless you press on them. He's had no sicknesses or fevers since this fall. It started over a month ago with one or two bumps, but there are definitely more now. I'm hoping to get to the pediatrician this week, but I'd love some help identifying it before then...

post-21451-13535086442254_thumb.jpg

post-21451-13535086442449_thumb.jpg

Serious question, not snark.

I have a questions for those who say Molluscum. The bumps look small to me for that. Were the bumps that small on your child? I am curious, because whenever I have seen molluscum, the spots were various sizes, small pea size or bigger and seemed to almost hang off of the skin. (a random picture from online that looks like the smallest of what I am used to seeing)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Serious question, not snark.

I have a questions for those who say Molluscum. The bumps look small to me for that. Were the bumps that small on your child? I am curious, because whenever I have seen molluscum, the spots were various sizes, small pea size or bigger and seemed to almost hang off of the skin. (a random picture from online that looks like the smallest of what I am used to seeing)

I've seen lots of kids with molluscum, and IME they are really variable but usually smaller than pea size. More like this:

http://www.healthcare.uiowa.edu/dermatology/MolCon04.htm

This article describes size and appearance, and states the average size is 3-5 mm in kids. That is consistent with my experience.

Also, they start smaller and get bigger, so you may be seeing them after they've been there awhile.

I've seen lots of kids with molluscum, and IME they are really variable but usually smaller than pea size. More like this:

http://www.healthcare.uiowa.edu/dermatology/MolCon04.htm

This article describes size and appearance, and states the average size is 3-5 mm in kids. That is consistent with my experience.

Also, they start smaller and get bigger, so you may be seeing them after they've been there awhile.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I have only seen a few kids with them, they were all definitely bigger than that, and one boy had them the size of grapes. It looked so uncomfortable. You know though, thinking back, if I saw the smaller bumps, I may have not recognized what it was...so maybe I have seen it smaller, but didn't know it. LOL

I work in pharmacy, and people like to show us their rashes, if they are looking for an otc cream to help. LOL