Menu

New Kindergardener!

TwoToSchool

My 5 yr old will be of 'official' school age this fall (but has been home learning along with his siblings the lat year) He's done some very basic math, letter sounds, he's a beginning reader and counts well. I purchased Singapore math 1A for next school year, but what else should I look for? What basic areas of study do you cover for a kindergardener? I want to make sure he has a good foundation but I hate to overwhelm him from the start!

My ds will be doing math, AAS1, and HWOT in the fall, and I'm thinking that will pretty much be it for "official" work. He is NOT interested in "starting school", so I really don't want to push it.

My oldest dd did a full traditional K at home (mostly Calvert) and loved it. Younger dd fell in between her siblings' level of enthusiasm, lol.

We love love love the All About Reading/Spelling program for learning to read too... it is so effective and fun.

I am with you... I have 2 boys who will be starting K in the fall... one really motivated and the other not really. I am not sure what to do with him. I wouldn't be sending him to PS if we did that... but I also think he needs to be pushed or prodded, or he might never want to start. :-/

Welcome!! I have a K'er officially starting in the fall, although we've been doing Pre-K/K work this work. We're using MEP for math, AAR (All About Reading) and possibly some AAS (All About Spelling) for phonics/spelling/reading, logic/reasoning (Lollipop Logic, Analogies for Beginners, Primarily Logic, some other reasoning book I picked up locally), more.starfall.com, Salsa Spanish, Signing Time for ASL, and she's combining with her 2nd grade sister for Real Science Odyssey Life Science and world countries/cultures via Amanda Bennet unit studies.

I recommend Letters and Numbers for Me for handwriting. Starfall.com and readingbear.org are two good free sites for reading. If you want to teach history, the Usborne First Encyclopedia of History is perfect for kindergarteners. Each section has two pages with lots of colorful pictures. The Usborne First Encyclopedia of Science is a good basic intro to science.

My 5 year old will also be in K this year. He is in preK now, which lasts about 8 more weeks and then we will start.

He has already learned some phonics and sight words at preK, but I am going to use OPGTR and Explode the Code 1 with him this summer. I also have MCP Phonics A I was thinking to use after ETC or maybe this fall.

I am going to start with Singapore EM and then focus on reading and writing practice. I really wanted to do things like SOTW and science, but after thinking about it more I don't want to push him. He is very bright, but I am going to start off slow and just focus on the basics and once we both get comfortable with home schooling I will introduce social studies and science. That could be this fall or it could be next year some time.

You can just add phonics and handwriting and stop there for now if you want! We like The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and Explode the Code for phonics, and Handwriting Without Tears for beginning printing.

I'd recommend reading aloud longer chapter books, like Charlotte's Web.

You can also do some fun science experiments, from Science Play or Mudpies to Magnets. Let's Read and Find Out science books are awesome for K!

My DD is due to start kindergarten early next year (we run on a January-December time table here) and I will probably just continue doing what we are doing now - concentrating on the 3Rs at whatever level she happens to be and adding in read alouds with some activities for science, geography and history. Mostly I go interest led for those subjects though. Here we are expected to start second language training in first grade now, so depending how things are going later in the year I may add in a second language.