Menu

Winter promise equine science???

4maybabies

We're using it for 11 years old and it's working perfectly. The notebook is HUGE! The spiral came off though, but I planned to remove it anyway, because it made it easier to do the work in it. The spiral should have been larger to hold the info and frankly, I feel it should be 3-hole punched so it's easier to draw in. I removed all of it and put it in a 3-hole binder. The books are really good! There's a ton of info in them. One blatant typo is that there's Day 1 and Day 2 headers and week 20-something, it shows Day 1 and Day 1 (an eye roll for their editing). Not a deal breaker, although something I expected. :tongue_smilie:

It would be a TON of info to do all in one day and even in 2 on their schedule unless your child works fast. We divide Day 1 and Day 2 into 2 days a piece for a 4-day week and it works perfectly.

I bought it to finish out the year with, so we probably won't finish the entire program, although dd will no doubt read all the books.

It's not a discussion sort of program. It's more independent to learn about horses. So it's not that you ponder any hypothesis vs conclusions, which to me was evident before I purchased it. I don't remember what age range it's for, but it's perfect for 11...probably 9-13.

It's a very, very thorough program that even I find completely interesting.

Edited by alilac

It occurs to me that this might be a good go-along program with Beautiful Feet's Horse curriculum. (www.bfbooks.com)

We have started History of the HOrse here, now I may have to put it aside and save it until I can look further into this equine science program. DD12 would go bananas if she found out she was doing a whole study of horses for History AND science.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think a horse-crazy 8 year old could use it successfully? Ariel would LOVE something like this, but I'm trying to decide if it would be a good fit. Also, how much religious material is in it? I really prefer secular materials, although I understand WP is a Christian company.

Do you think a horse-crazy 8 year old could use it successfully? Ariel would LOVE something like this, but I'm trying to decide if it would be a good fit. Also, how much religious material is in it? I really prefer secular materials, although I understand WP is a Christian company.

I think it can work for a horse-crazy 8 year old. I bought it for my horse-crazy 11 year old, but my 8 year old tags along. She isn't in to horses like her sister is, so she is far from gung ho for it, but she does keep up just fine.

We've encountered very little religious material. There is very little religion that could be squeezed into the subject matter IMO.