Menu

History encyclopedia for a 7-year-old?

Rasa

Tell me about the Vikings! I want to learn about Alexander the Great! Do you know about the big ship that hit an iceberg? My 7-year-old is interested in history a la carte, but feels that it is a chore to study it as a "subject" (I have tried SOTW and A Little History of the World, and decided to wait until his 4-year-old sister is ready to join the fun.)

I am looking for a resource book, which, ideally, would contain a few pages and full-color illustrations on any topic in history that a 7-year-old might have a question about -- something that would provide an instant answer to a burning question, to be followed up by books from the library (or not, based on the interest.) Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!

Kingfisher. I have the history, science, and world geography encyclopedias; they are thick books, with the right mix of information and illustrations. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of the products. When we got the history book, my son read it in a few days, but it hasn't stopped us from pulling it down whenever we have additional questions. We use the science as a "spine" when the kids are looking for another subject to study, and the geography will be our spine when we start up our world study. I highly recommend all three.

My son also loves the Usborne one. He's read it so much that its spine is falling apart. I should have gotten the library edition instead of the regular hardback. :tongue_smilie:

I plan to get the Kingfisher at some point also. Most people seem to use that for logic stage and use the Usborne for grammar stage. I'm sure my son would be fine with Kingfisher now though. He loves history. He's read all 4 SOTW volumes twice, the Usborne in its entirety at least once (and parts of it multiple times), etc.

My recommendation is the Usborne First Encyclopedia of History. You could use it with both of your kids. It has two page spreads with lots of colorful pictures. There isn't too much text, so it easily holds the interests of younger kids. Check if your library has the Good Times Travel Agency books to use as supplements. They're a really fun way to teach history.

Thanks everyone for recommendations! All the books look great. I am leaning toward Kingfisher as I am getting the impression that it is aimed at a slightly older audience and it appears to have a better quality binding.

Could someone rate these three resources (Kingfisher, Usborne and DK history encyclopedias) from most to least Euro-centric and from most to least Christian-based? Thanks so much!

Both my boys have always loved the Usborne Encyclopedia. Now at 11 and 12 years old they still love that book.

Having said that, when they were younger I would look up projects for history in the SOTW acitivity guide first. We would do that project and I would tell them what we were doing, where this came from, who the people were etc. Basically, I would read the info and talk about it rather than read it to them.