Menu

Alternatives to Montessori Language/Grammar

vwsmith

We have primarily used Montessori for the primary years (ages 3-6) but are starting to move away from a strictly Montessori house as our son enters first grade.

The main reasons for this are simply time and finances related to Montessori elementary--I have less of each as our family grows. While Montessori philosophy is ever present in our life, I am growing a deep appreciation for Charlotte Mason and Classical methodologies/theories as well.

One area in which I need an alternative is language as it applies to grammar. While I would really like to continue with Montessori in this arena, the work and cost involved is just screaming, "time for a reality check!" So, does anyone have a recommendation for a program that will help satisfy my Montessori sensibilities while not breaking the bank or having every waking hour be dedicated to making it work?

You might try to replicate these grammar symbols at home. Unfortunately it appears as though these materials are sold in classroom sets (if they sold them individually, they'd probably be a reasonable price - I wouldn't be afraid to ask)

Edited by wapiti

You might try to replicate these grammar symbols at home. This is what my ds was using in 2nd grade in his Montessori classroom, labeling above words. Unfortunately it appears as though these materials are sold in classroom sets (if they sold them individually, they'd probably be a reasonable price - I wouldn't be afraid to ask)

Yes, you can buy (or make) these symbols separately. But then there's the grammar boxes, the advanced symbols, grammar cards, analysis charts, language album, 2 separate and solid color movable alphabets, and on and on and on...I just start to get a bit overwhelmed :blink:

Jolly Grammar, the follow on from Jolly Phonics is "Montessori inspired" apparently, although I haven't used it. The parts of speech are assigned a colour, that's all I know.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll look into it :)

We're using a traditional phonics program concurrently with the Montessori "pink, green, blue" phonics series. I biught & printed the pink series first (I used Montessori Print Shop), then used the "sets" of cards along with the phonics program she was using. When the traditional phonics program surpassed the CVC words of the pink cards, I printed and introduced the blue cards, then the green cards. While the traditional phonics program was highly encouraged on a schedule, she used the cards the same way she uses any other material - presented then mostly self-directed.

We haven't started formal grammar yet, but when we do, I'll probably used the grammer cards and printable symbols from Montessori Print Shop with a traditional program, too.

We're using a traditional phonics program concurrently with the Montessori "pink, green, blue" phonics series. I biught & printed the pink series first (I used Montessori Print Shop), then used the "sets" of cards along with the phonics program she was using. When the traditional phonics program surpassed the CVC words of the pink cards, I printed and introduced the blue cards, then the green cards. While the traditional phonics program was highly encouraged on a schedule, she used the cards the same way she uses any other material - presented then mostly self-directed.

We haven't started formal grammar yet, but when we do, I'll probably used the grammer cards and printable symbols from Montessori Print Shop with a traditional program, too.

We're set with a phonics program. We used Muriel Dwyer's reading scheme (a Montessori based scheme that doesn't use the Pink, Green, Blue series) We LOVED it so much--my son just really soared with it, but moving on to grammar, can we find that same love?

My DD is only 5, so I haven't looked too much, but I bet it'd be do-able to combine the grammar symbols of Montessori to a more traditional program? Even the farm could work - introducing the elements of the farm according to the sequence of a traditional program?

I'm looking at FLL1, which I haven't used yet, and your son is past this level, but it's the only grammar book on my shelf. I think what I'm going to try to do is... as nouns are introduced in FLL, I'll introduce the solid red triangle, and also a set of printed red triangles, to be used to identify nouns she comes upon. When she's starting to understand the idea of a noun, we'll introduce the labels for nouns in the farm. Repeat with verbs, etc.

My thought is that introducing the elements of the Montessori grammar along the scope & sequence of a traditional program like FLL will combine the best elements of both programs.

My DD is only 5, so I haven't looked too much, but I bet it'd be do-able to combine the grammar symbols of Montessori to a more traditional program? Even the farm could work - introducing the elements of the farm according to the sequence of a traditional program?

I'm looking at FLL1, which I haven't used yet, and your son is past this level, but it's the only grammar book on my shelf. I think what I'm going to try to do is... as nouns are introduced in FLL, I'll introduce the solid red triangle, and also a set of printed red triangles, to be used to identify nouns she comes upon. When she's starting to understand the idea of a noun, we'll introduce the labels for nouns in the farm. Repeat with verbs, etc.

My thought is that introducing the elements of the Montessori grammar along the scope & sequence of a traditional program like FLL will combine the best elements of both programs.

Duh *smacking forehead* Taking the best of both worlds and making it work--perfect. I really think the farm is such a great work I'd hate to give it up. This would allow it to be part of it all.

We did something like the farm with a nativity set this past Christmas, and the girls loved it. It was not even done with regular school, just presented as a fun Christmas activity.

I think, yes, you take what works/what you like best of Montessori and combine it with easier stuff (easier for you)-best of both worlds. We took the same road as you are embarking on. We started with Montessori until I got overwhelmed with the cost/labor to make all the stuff. My breaking point was the beads and cubes. I was like "No F-ing way am I buying all those gold beads and hand-stringing them on wire over and over again. That's it!":tongue_smilie::lol:

So then we searched for an approach that at least kept some of the philosophy. Charlotte Mason and Classical was our choice; I see we are on the same page there. We went with Sonlight for LA, as well as The Reading Lesson for my first-grader that needed more phonics and cute pictures.

Good luck.

Lakota

We did Montessori at home for preschool but, like OP, moved into more of a Classical Approach as she moved beyond the scope and sequence of the 3-6 years. She loves FLL1. We still use the grammar symbols, which I made out of craft foam, (you can see them in this blog post) to place over the words in phrases I have typed up (from FLL1). We used the grammar farm first though and moved into FLL and probably could have gone straight into FLL 2, but I wanted to make sure we hadn't missed anything so we are just about done with 1, done at lightning speed, slowing down at new things. We love that it can be done snuggled up on the couch, or outside while my daughter is on the swings (you largely just read the lesson and the child repeats definitions, although there is copywork (that we hardly ever do because we do copywork from other areas)).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest acatholicmommy

Almost all the Montessori grammar materials can be made from free or almost free printables - just cardstock and colored ink (or colored pencil to color things in). Look at MontessoriMaterials.org for some examples.

Our original grammar boxes were actually posterboard and cardboard with cardboard strips glued around to make the placement sections. The "filler boxes" were (and still are) envelopes with the words inside.

The logical analysis (sentence analysis) arrows and shapes can also be printed on cardstock and used that way; the grammar symbols are fine just printed on cardstock squares for homeschool use.

I can't think of one thing that HAS to be purchased from a Montessori company, unless you want to. And if you do, it is has excellent re-sale value - I'm on a couple of groups where this stuff is always being requested :)