Menu

Is a false positive blood hcg (qualitative) possible?

I have a close friend who has suffered with premature ovarian failure and has been infertile for something like 12 yrs. She takes natural hormone replacement to facilitate cycles.

She was just told that she has a positive hcg blood test (qualitative). She was so shocked she didn't ask if it could be wrong. The nurse knows that she is on natural hormones.

She does not know what to think. She has not cycled in a while because she was off her hormones due to surgery in January and just started them back last month. She has been on a lot of pain meds too because of migraines.

She is on her way to the base hospital to see if they will check her over, but she is sooo confused right now.

I know there are some conditions that can cause a positive other than pregnancy. Anyone have statistics for me? What are the odds that this could be a pregnancy?

Tammy, who is cautiously optimistic for her friend.

UPDATE: They did an ultrasound but did not see anything. They ran a quantitative test and the number was low. So, nothing was definitive. They will check again in a week. Prayers would be appreciated :001_smile:.

Edited by jewellsmommy

They did an ultrasound but did not see anything. They ran a quantitative test and the number was low. So, nothing was definitive. They will check again in a week. Prayers would be appreciated :001_smile:.

She has my prayers, for sure! I hope for good news for her in a week.