Menu

Need help with struggling reader...

(Did a search, but didn't find what I need...)

It looks like I will be homeschooling my 8 year old, 3rd grade nephew for the last two months of this school year. He was homeschooled in K/1, PS'ed in 2/3. He's a perfectly bright child, but struggles with reading. Due to that, his other subjects that involve reading are declining, such as word problems in Math. If you give him a test verbally, he gets it correct. If you have him take it himself, he tends to get a poor score.

I need advice on how to help him in this area. There's very little money to spend, so I can't buy a new curriculum. Thanks for any advice you have! :bigear:

I would be looking for some kind of Orton-Gillingham program to help with the reading difficulties. There are many of these like SWR, AAS, or Recipe for Reading (probably the least expensive option that will tell you how to create your own program).

Has he been tested for dyslexia? That would be my thought given the troubles you are describing.

I would be looking for some kind of Orton-Gillingham program to help with the reading difficulties. There are many of these like SWR, AAS, or Recipe for Reading (probably the least expensive option that will tell you how to create your own program).

Has he been tested for dyslexia? That would be my thought given the troubles you are describing.

I agree. The Barton site has some great videos.

It would be a good idea to get his eyes checked if they haven't been.

Have him use an index card with the corner notched out to guide his reading. Start him where he can succeed. Have him read the same books over and over. Don't make him struggle when reading (challenged, but not failing). If he tries to get a word and can't, give it to him and move on. Read the book again at a later time. Teach him to segment the sounds in a word and teach one rule at a time. There's free lists of spelling rules available online.

Use the library. They can be a little inconvenient but they're free.

Best wishes!

There are a lot of great free things out there.

Don Potter's page is full of good programs:

http://donpotter.net/education_pages/

With my remedial students, I generally work them through the program on my how to tutor page and they watch my phonics lessons on their own for reinforcement.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

You can also do some of the assessments on my testing page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

I find nonsense words, oral spelling, and work with syllables and syllable division most helpful for my remedial students, they learn a lot more and learn faster with these elements in their remedial phonics program.