Menu

If you could only buy one book of poems....

sditz1

We use A Child's Garden of Verses,

and alot of other Dover books to get a wide variety. ( Shakespeare, Longfellow, Christina Rosetti, etc. ) and FLL, copy work, books like The Children's Book of Virtues, and some others. I just couldn't handle one big book!

Of course ancient epic poems have to be read seperately: The Iliad, Epic of Gilgamesh, etc.

We use A Child's Garden of Verses,

We have this one, and I like it, but I wouldn't get it as my only book of poetry since it is a compilation of poems by a single poet.

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children is absolutely my favorite for elementary age children.

Mandy

:iagree: This is worth having as your only book of poetry.

I also have the Scott Foresman Anthology of Children's Literature. It has more than just poetry, but it is a huge book, and the poetry section is excellent. It is out of print, but you can often get a good deal on used copies. This would be my top pick if I were buying just one book.

We have a couple of the books mentioned above, but my children's favorite, by far, is a Treasury of Children's Poetry by Sage.

The book is profusely illustrated from start to finish. It starts with nursery rhymes and progresses to classic poetry studied in high school. My girls have been thumbing through it since they were preschoolers. I let them choose their own poems for memorization, and I'd say 90% of their memory work comes from this book. I didn't realize it was so cheap on Amazon. I should buy them each their own copy, so they won't have to fight over the book. One has sticky notes along the top, and the other runs hers along the side of the book. :lol:

ETA: I'm such a sucker for a bargain! I just bought a used copy for less than $5 including shipping. My dds will be so excited.

Edited by Julianna