Menu

Question about AAR/AAS Interactive Kits

Marie131

Is there a difference b/n the AAR kit and the AAS kit?

Also wondering what I really need to order? I don't think I would need/use the phonogram cd-rom and do I really need the dividers or could I just use my own? It seems to me, all I really need are the letter tiles, am I wrong? Also, I intend to use AAS for my DS6 and AAR for my DS4, do they each need their own letter tiles or can they share? TIA :)

I can't really give you any solid advice- because I haven't used it myself yet, but I can give you an answer based on what I've seen other posters say about this curriculum. I haven't looked at AAR at all, so this is just about AAS...

The phonogram CD is essential to make sure that the pronunciation is correct. You don't want to teach the wrong sound. That being said, if you are familiar with the correct sounds then it would not be necessary. Here is a thread about the CD. AAS- Phonogram CD

With the box/dividers, I again, recommend using the ones provided by AAS. I have heard other posters comment saying that the cards can't fit in a different size box as well. You could make your own, but it would be "risky" without already having the program since you wouldn't know the size of the cards. It is probably easier just to use the dividers purchased from AAS since they are laminated and color-coded for ease of use.

I hope I answered some of your questions. If you a search for AAS you will find lots of answers and discussions about the program. :)

I just send that question to the company and this was the response

The Basic Interactive Kits are nearly identical, so you would only need a set of Divider Cards from whichever Kit you did not buy.* The letter tiles, magnets, and phonogram CD-ROM are the same.* If you are looking at the Deluxe Kits, you may want some of the optional items such as the box or stickers from the other deluxe kit.* I hope this helps!* Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Merry

Customer Care Representative

All About Learning Press, Inc.

Hope that helps!

Lynn

We use AAR and AAS together and I was able to combine our cards into one single box. I did purchase the dividers and I'm glad I did. I originally bought AAS used and it came with the dividers but with a plastic box. The cards fit but the dividers were constantly getting bent and torn because of all of the opening and closing. I found it much easier (and more organized) to use their box and dividers. It was one of those things I was willing to pay a few dollars for so I didnt have to try and create and cut my own. We have one set of magnets for all of the sets and it works well. I don't know what it will be like when the second kid joins in, but for now it works. I did find that once I started putting together the different pieces of the interactive kit that I wanted it ended up being cheaper to just go ahead and purchase the entire kit.

I like the purchased divider cards because they're sturdy and color coded. I'm using an index box. Works fine so far, we're on level 2. If you're certain you can teach the sounds correctly you can skip the CD. We use our own stickers (I have 4-5 pads from the $ store). Ds likes picking a sticker when a lesson is completed.

It is a bit of $ when first starting AAS (books, kit, whiteboard), but I have found it to be an excellent program. I wish we had started it last year.

Btw, my oldest wall mounted the large whiteboard with jumbo Command strips. It did add $5 to the cost, but when we no longer need the big whiteboard, it can easily be moved without drill holes. Worth the $5.

We started with a small one, but my DD found that she much preferred to spread the tiles out. Once you get to the higher levels there seems to be a lot more moving of the tiles, so having extra space to spread out is nice. Walmart and Target have fairly good prices on their whiteboards. We've also used an automotive drip tray (you can find them at your local auto supply store). They're huge metal pans with a slight lip. They run about $10 and can be mounted on the wall with 3M strips. The only downside is that they do have a brand mark on them (mine was about a 6 inch circle with the word Blitz), but I just covered it up with tiles.

One of the WTM moms has pictures of her tray on her blog:

http://teachingstars.com/2011/11/21/all-about-spelling-update/

Thank you for your replies. It certainly helps! I was also wondering, with regards to the whiteboard, is a large whiteboard necessary or can I just get by with a little 8x12"? just wondering why they recommend a 2x3'?

I bought the CD and never used it. But it could be helpful if you are used to saying Cu-a-Tu. The CD just explains the clean way to make the sounds. I also never bought the box, and just use an index card box. The card dividers come each and every year wth the cards, and I have only used the first set of dividers so they do get a bit dog eared. I would laminate them, if that was an issue, but when I sell it, there will be at least 3 more dividers that are brand new. As for the white board. I do not think a board that small will work. I did use an 18x24, and that barely works. By the time you hit level 3 there are A LOT of tiles. If you are buying one then I suggest getting the bigger one, if you already have a magnetized board, then it will likely work for the first year, and you can shop for sales.

We had a smaller one (18" x 24", I think). We quickly ran out of room. I love the 3' x 2'. It has room for the tiles all in one row, extras down the side, plenty of center room for writing. We use it everyday, for math too.

We have a 3' wide wall in between the l/r and kitchen. I have the whiteboard on the kitchen side. It isn't even noticeable unless you're in the kitchen walking back toward the l/r. Hanging it with the Command strips keeps it from damaging the wall.

I know others that don't mount theirs, they just pull it out each day.