Menu

extra time on the SAT or ACT?

My son has a processing speed disability, as well as coding problems. Copying things down, like copying the math problem onto scratch paper, are hard for him and take time. This is documented in a neuropsych report. On his most recent standardized test, the ITBS, he scored very highly on most tests, but miserably on the math computation section because he ran out of time. I'm looking ahead to other tests like the PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc and realizing he may need extra time. The testing places themselves say they need to see that the kid has a plan in place to get extra time on in school work as well. Um...he gets whatever time he needs on his school work, I don't time it.

Anyone homeschool and navigate this process to get extra time?

We did. My son recently was granted accommodations for, among other things, 150% time.

You need to have a documented history of disability as well as a history of *actually using* accommodations. We chose to get a 504 plan through the ps my son attended for some classes targeting homeschoolers. Then he used the accommodations outlined in the plan for standardized tests that happened to be offered by that program (ITBS).

I've been told that for extra time they want to see processing speed scores in the 1st percentile or lower.

We got the accommodations without a problem, though we asked for 200% time and only got 150%.

A lot of places are moving away from unlimited timed test. Instead the push is extended time not to exceed 50% more. Also a push is for flexible breaks. Basically some kids were spending ALL day on them or testing over multiple days, which some saw as a n unfair advantage.

My ds - 7th grade - was allowed extended time for the ACT this past fall as well as the ability to circle his answers in the test booklet and then the test proctor filled in the scan-tron sheet at the end of testing. I'll have to go back and look but I think he was allowed up to 8 hours for the test - he didn't need it though. He was also given the ability to take breaks as needed.

In our state we have to hs through an accountability group - so both the accountability group and I submitted paper-work documenting his disability (ADHD/LD(dyslexia/dysgraphia)). Each year I do my own accommodation list - similar to a 504 - documenting in my files and for my group what I will be providing for ds.

A lot of places are moving away from unlimited timed test. Instead the push is extended time not to exceed 50% more. Also a push is for flexible breaks. Basically some kids were spending ALL day on them or testing over multiple days, which some saw as a n unfair advantage.

I don't think that the SAT ever had an untimed option, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I think that high stakes tests of this sort should be untimed for everyone. If the test makers want to be sure that the test actually ends in a reasonable amount of time, they can have it work like the MAP, which adapts to the level of the test taker and allows them to continue until a certain number of questions are missed in a row.

Hmm...I'm trying to find his paperwork now...we are remodeling and i'm not sure where it is. I think his processing speed was around 13% a few years ago, and I know it dropped when they tested again last year...I think it was around 6%. Plus he has a working memory issue that makes copying things from one piece of paper to another really hard...which is why I think the computation section was the one he struggled with...he had to rewrite the problems on scratch paper. This is a kid that can memorize spelling words easily, but can't copy words off the blackboard onto paper correctly.

Hmm...I'm trying to find his paperwork now...we are remodeling and i'm not sure where it is. I think his processing speed was around 13% a few years ago, and I know it dropped when they tested again last year...I think it was around 6%. Plus he has a working memory issue that makes copying things from one piece of paper to another really hard...which is why I think the computation section was the one he struggled with...he had to rewrite the problems on scratch paper. This is a kid that can memorize spelling words easily, but can't copy words off the blackboard onto paper correctly.

Off the original topic - but I wonder if you've ever explored Vision Therapy (http://www.covd.org)? While VT won't "cure" all the issues - we found that it greatly improved ds's ability to copy material both from near and far point.

Off the original topic - but I wonder if you've ever explored Vision Therapy (http://www.covd.org)? While VT won't "cure" all the issues - we found that it greatly improved ds's ability to copy material both from near and far point.

He had an evaluation and although he has some mild convergence issues, he really doesn't need therapy. Thank you though!