Menu

Pancake Supper Etiquette

Dd10 is starting her volunteer job at the Y tonight. She will be helping to serve at a pancake supper tonight. The rest of us are going to the dinner just to eat. A couple of questions.

1. I'm assuming that she needs to eat before the dinner because she will be working. Is that a safe assumption? I'm having her eat now.

2. Dh is diabetic. A pancake supper is not exactly the most diabetic friendly meal. I have no idea if they will serve any kind of a protein with the pancakes and if they do, how much it would be. Is it extremely tacky if I make a bunch of bacon for him to take along to supplement his meal? He wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

I would have her eat in case she is not served. She may be, but if I were the one serving I'd eat just in case.

I think there is nothing wrong with your husband bringing food with him, especially since he has special needs when it comes to food.

I have no idea, actually. If it were me, I would probably just call over to the Y and ask your questions. "Hi, I was wondering, are you guys serving any protein with the pancakes tonight, or is it just pancakes? Oh, okay, thanks...also, my daughter is helping to serve tonight, should she be eating supper at home first, or are the kids eating pancakes, too...?"

If you don't feel right asking about her food, then, yeah, just feed her at home just in case.

If they aren't serving anything else and you want to give him something that's protein, I don't see anything wrong with bringing something along to meet his needs, especially for a medical condition, but if you're wanting to be somewhat subtle about it, I'm not sure "a bunch of bacon" that no-one else has is the most subtle thing lol, I would probably have string cheese or some such, rather than wanting everyone to be looking around smelling bacon and wondering where I got it and why they don't have it, but up to you! :D

if you're wanting to be somewhat subtle about it, I'm not sure "a bunch of bacon" that no-one else has is the most subtle thing lol, I would probably have string cheese or some such, rather than wanting everyone to be looking around smelling bacon and wondering where I got it and why they don't have it, but up to you! :D

LOL - you have a point but he's allergic to dairy!

Really Jean, if anyone says anything just tell them he's diabetic and it would be dangerous for him to eat so many carbs without a sufficient amount of protein to go with it.

Of course, I'm the mom who brought her soy-allergic son a homemade hamburger to one Asian heavy potluck to make sure he had enough to eat and cut in line to get him soy-free food at a different Asian heavy potluck before it was gone.

Can he eat the bacon in the car right before you go in so it's still in his tummy to mix with the pancakes?

That's what I was thinking, too. It seems tacky to bring your own bacon (I've heard of BYOB, but I never realized it meant BACON.)

He did eat it in the car. And I'm glad that he did. They had fruit, pancakes, fruit syrup and two small sausages. Yummy but very bad for a diabetic.

I'm also glad that dd ate before hand. She ended up being with the babies and not serving the pancake supper at all. She loved it. And I'm a very proud mom. They told me when I picked her up that not only is she the youngest volunteer they've ever had, she's the best volunteer they've ever had with the littles. And I believe it. She is so patient with them and the little babies and toddlers just seem to love her. :001_wub: