Menu

megawords--where to begin

bettyandbob

I finally decided my dd would do megawords this year. We've tried many approaches to spelling and she cannot spell a thing. She is a strong reader. She will be in 5th grade. Is there a way to determine approximately what level she needs without purchasing the assessment book. I'd like to order all my school stuff at once with one shipping.

I finally decided my dd would do megawords this year. We've tried many approaches to spelling and she cannot spell a thing. She is a strong reader. She will be in 5th grade. Is there a way to determine approximately what level she needs without purchasing the assessment book. I'd like to order all my school stuff at once with one shipping.
Start at Level 1, which covers the syllabication rules and syllable types. The books have a pretest for each subsection, so you can get a good idea how much time to devote to each.

I started my 7th grader with book 1. Book 1 starts with syllabication rules beginning with VCV. It lays the foundation for all the others. It's very important not to skip book 1.

We have seen tremendous progress with this series and I am determined to finish out the whole series. We are on crunch time so finished 3 books in our first year. We plan to finish 3 more in the 8th grade and the last two in the ninth grade.

I wish I would have started this sooner. The bonus for us was all the vocabulary that my son has now learned not to mention reading improvement and reading speed improvement.

HTH,

Dee

We used Megawords 1, 2, and 3 starting in 5th grade. We completed Megawords 1 in 2 months, Megawords 2 in 2 ½ months, and Megawords 3 in 3 months.

So, you don't really want to just buy the first book. Buy several at once and save yourself the trouble of buying again in a few months.

I agree. I purchased Megawords 1 & 2 in the spring, and we are done. My dd is in 7th gr. I plan to use this series in 8th gr. as well. I have seen a marked improvement in my dd's spelling. She has always been a pretty good speller, but this has helped make her a better speller. :001_smile:

It is a straighforward and easy to use program.