Menu

Saxon Math 6/5

MamaBear

We are doing it 5 days a week. We started our year with MUS epsilon, but dropped it due to constant tears. A friend gave me Saxon to use, and it is working beautifully for ds. No more tears and his confidence is up!!! My plan is have him work 5 days/week through May then, 3 days/week this summer. He should finish by the end of June that way and be ready to pick up 7/6 in Septmenber when we start back.

We are doing it 5 days a week. We started our year with MUS epsilon, but dropped it due to constant tears. A friend gave me Saxon to use, and it is working beautifully for ds. No more tears and his confidence is up!!! My plan is have him work 5 days/week through May then, 3 days/week this summer. He should finish by the end of June that way and be ready to pick up 7/6 in Septmenber when we start back.

I wish we could get 5 lessons in one week done! Sometimes dd will make 6 - 8 mistakes on the written practice and a few on the warm up and we have to go through those before she can move on to the new lesson. Math can take awhile on those type days to finish. Does your ds make many mistakes?

Thanks

I wish we could get 5 lessons in one week done! Sometimes dd will make 6 - 8 mistakes on the written practice and a few on the warm up and we have to go through those before she can move on to the new lesson. Math can take awhile on those type days to finish. Does your ds make many mistakes?

Thanks

Oh, yes! He makes mistakes. Mostly, because he is careless. We are working on that. When we started Saxon he missed at least half of the problems because of that. Now, he may miss 1 or 2. He is extremely distractable. So, I sit next to him while he works each problem. We've found it helps him stay on task, and I catch the mistakes early before he has to correct every.single.problem.

Sorry math is rough right now.:grouphug:

We do five lessons a week for two weeks. The third week we do a test, an investigation, and math from other sources. At three lessons per week, it would take you 40 weeks to get through the book. If you are okay with that, there is no problem. I like doing some math in the summer, anyhow.

We find it hard to get in one lesson per day! The kids are supposed to read the lesson and do the mixed practice. Sometimes I do the warm up with them and sometimes they do it themselves and write the answers with their assignment for me to check later. If I get backed up with grading the assignments - then I might have to take a day just to go over the missed problems. And often times - they just don't get the assignment done!

However, we do math year round. We also test through the beginning of each new text. My daughter just skipped through the first 70 lessons in Saxon 76.

At times I have resorted to hand selecting only half the problems to complete.

Because I know we can skip much of the successive book - I don't really worry too much about how much is getting done (or not getting done) each week.

Oh, yes! He makes mistakes. Mostly, because he is careless. We are working on that. When we started Saxon he missed at least half of the problems because of that. Now, he may miss 1 or 2. He is extremely distractable. So, I sit next to him while he works each problem. We've found it helps him stay on task, and I catch the mistakes early before he has to correct every.single.problem.

Sorry math is rough right now.:grouphug:

Thanks Sherry! This week dd did 4 lessons and I am okay with that. I don't sit with her during math, I have an almost 4 year old that I spend time with. I have to remind myself that I am not on anyones schedule but my own:)

We do Math 5 days. It takes her about an hour. She does all the lesson practice and then odd or even on the mixed practice.

My dd would love it and me if I only assigned her the odd or even problems. It sure would speed things up with Math. I would be nervous that she would not get the review that she needs on certain problems. Do you ever encounter an issue like that?

Thanks,

We do five lessons a week for two weeks. The third week we do a test, an investigation, and math from other sources. At three lessons per week, it would take you 40 weeks to get through the book. If you are okay with that, there is no problem. I like doing some math in the summer, anyhow.

Just curious, but what other resources do you use? We do Math through the summer at a slower pace, 2 or 3 a week. Mainly because we don't finish the program by June and then I have learned from the past that when we drop Math for the summer it is hard to get back on track after. We do take a break periodically in the summer from it so we can chill out a bit:)

We find it hard to get in one lesson per day! The kids are supposed to read the lesson and do the mixed practice. Sometimes I do the warm up with them and sometimes they do it themselves and write the answers with their assignment for me to check later. If I get backed up with grading the assignments - then I might have to take a day just to go over the missed problems. And often times - they just don't get the assignment done!

However, we do math year round. We also test through the beginning of each new text. My daughter just skipped through the first 70 lessons in Saxon 76.

At times I have resorted to hand selecting only half the problems to complete.

Because I know we can skip much of the successive book - I don't really worry too much about how much is getting done (or not getting done) each week.

Your schedule sounds a little like mine. We do math during the summer as well. DD will finish with 6/5 in 3 or so weeks (I hope) and I think we will take a break before we begin 7/6.

Thanks,

Just curious, but what other resources do you use? We do Math through the summer at a slower pace, 2 or 3 a week. Mainly because we don't finish the program by June and then I have learned from the past that when we drop Math for the summer it is hard to get back on track after. We do take a break periodically in the summer from it so we can chill out a bit:)

Dd has finished Life of Fred Fractions and will soon be starting Decimals and Percents. She is half done a fractions workbook. She has just started Hands-On--Equations and Singapore Challenging Word Problems. She will do something out of one or two of these once or twice a week. The third week, she will work in one or more of these on three or more days. When she finishes up the LOF book, fractions book, and CWP, we will do either some MEP or Russian Math 6. I don't have certain things I have to use, I just want her to be exposed to different methods of instruction.

Dd has finished Life of Fred Fractions and will soon be starting Decimals and Percents. She is half done a fractions workbook. She has just started Hands-On--Equations and Singapore Challenging Word Problems. She will do something out of one or two of these once or twice a week. The third week, she will work in one or more of these on three or more days. When she finishes up the LOF book, fractions book, and CWP, we will do either some MEP or Russian Math 6. I don't have certain things I have to use, I just want her to be exposed to different methods of instruction.

I have thought of doing this but never have acted upon it. How do you decide what to add to her regular math curriculum?

Thanks,

I choose pretty randomly. I do look for things Dd will find fun. I am fairly disorganized in my implementation. If Dd has a light school day, I'll suggest an extra activity. On the third week where she has only a test and investigation, I might tell her what I want her to work on or ask her what she wants to do. We'll do about an hour regardless of what she chooses. My goal is to offer lots of variety.

I choose pretty randomly. I do look for things Dd will find fun. I am fairly disorganized in my implementation. If Dd has a light school day, I'll suggest an extra activity. On the third week where she has only a test and investigation, I might tell her what I want her to work on or ask her what she wants to do. We'll do about an hour regardless of what she chooses. My goal is to offer lots of variety.

Yeah variety is probably a very good idea with math. We have been using Saxon for 3 years now and it is going well but I think I really need to add something different to "jazz" it up a bit. Thanks for your input:)