Menu

Fixing posture

My 8 yr old has horrible posture. He slumps his shoulders and holds his head forward with his neck jetted out front. Make sense? So his head is not aligned on top of his neck. He holds his head out in front of his neck. I don't know how that doesn't hurt and cause strain.

I've asked our Dr. about it but she wasn't any help. She said to pick my battles and not do anything about it. Um, not satisfied with that suggestion. I've seen teens and adult with horrible posture and I don't want my ds to suffer from it. I know he has weak muscle tone. He has SPD as well. He lacks an awareness of where his body is in space.

He takes karate classes and piano both of which are good therapy for his SPD. He does sit with a straight back while playing piano....at the piano teacher's house.

My dh has suggested we get the boys a set of weights. He thinks that weights will strengthen his muscles. Would this help? I guess I have a hard time picturing an 8 yr old lifting weights. :001_huh:

He likes to try and do yoga with me sometimes. He's not very good because he is not flexible at all. :001_smile: I was thinking of maybe getting some yoga DVDs geared toward kids?

Any suggestions to help strengthen his core, back, shoulders, and improve his posture?

Edited by Kleine Hexe

Swimming is great for posture. Rebounding is wonderful also. Yoga is bound to be beneficial. Dance classes?

I wouldn't recommend weights for a child. Just me.

I googled and found some info.

My ds doesn't have the greatest posture either. Good reminder for me also. I find it very hard to keep nagging and reminding when the person does not wish to change. :glare:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5641044_improve-child_s-posture.html

http://www.ehow.com/way_5179365_posture-exercises-kids.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/80190-improve-childs-posture/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/183160-help-for-childrens-posture/

HTH.

I second yoga or dance for posture. Also pilates, which can be great fun for kids. Maybe make it a family affair, core exercise is good for everyone. :-D I agree that strengthening certain muscles will help, but just general weight lifting probably will not. He needs to work on the specific muscles in the back and neck that hold his head up.

A physical therapist can probably recommend specific exercises. I had one session with a physical therapist a few years ago for some shoulder issues, and she was able to teach me what I needed to know to fix the problem myself with 5 minutes a day of exercises using a resistance band. Even if you don't want long-term therapy, a consult with someone who really understands how muscles and exercise affect the body can be valuable.

I would do a consultation with a physical therapist rather than buy weights.

I have exactly the same posture problem (head jutting forward, etc.). I also have scoliosis.

I would get your ds assessed for scoliosis just to be on the safe side.

I would ask the physical therapist to prescribe specific at-home exercises. This will be out of the realm of "normal" for the physical therapist--they are used to having a client come in a couple times per week to rehab an injury. However, if you ask, I'm sure you can find someone willing to do a consultation. (I have done so.)

Other than that, I second the advice about sitting on an exercise ball. Another good thing to do is hang from a bar each day for a while--it has a marvelous effect on straightening the spine.