Menu

what can I use to teach business math?

I think that business math is the correct term. When I was in middle and high school we always spent a couple weeks in math class on what they called business math. I think it was grades 7-9.

We did things like learn how to fill out state and federal tax forms and a W2, balance a cheque book, create a budget and calculate interest. There was also a discussion about mortgages and credit cards with all of that.

At the time, I found it mind numbing, but after high school it came in pretty darn handy. I remember teaching my friends in college how to fill out their tax forms. We prob should have continued in high school, but I grew up in NY and in high school the Regent exam keeps you on a tight schedule.

Any suggestions for learning about such things from a math perspective? I know there is some guy who teaches about debt, but I am hoping for a bit more than that.

I found a copy of a 1960's text, General Business at the thrift store for 25 cents recently. We've been reading through it at night, and it's been a hit. In fact, it's the most requested book we use lately. For all of a quarter, I consider that quite the find! :D

Granted, some things are out-of-date, and the prices for things mentioned in the book are very interesting, ;). The vocabulary is there, though, and also the business math work.

Does your library have some older copies of any general business math books that you could look over to see if one might fit your purpose? I hadn't thought of using a business math book, but this one popped up, and for the price, I scooped it up. I'd bet there are plenty of general business books at the used book seller sites.