Menu

Greek Yogurt with no added sugar?

Does anyone know of a Greek yogurt that has the fruit already added but no added sugar? The kind I've been buying from Aldi has fruit but lists sugar as its third ingredient, right after cultured milk and strawberries. I'd really like to find one that just has the strawberries with no more sugar. Is there such a thing?

I have never seen one. We buy plain yogurt and add our own fruit, either blueberries or sometimes, jam.

Yes, I thought of that - I bought the plain in a large tub and have added frozen-then-thawed strawberries, but being the lazy person that I am, I was hoping to find something in convenient little containers that I don't have to mess with to get the result I want. I mean, how hard would that be for yogurt manufacturers to do? You'd think they'd realize folks who are eating Greek yogurt are probably interested in the most healthy form of it. I'll probably just have to keep adding my own fruit.

You can buy Fage Greek Yogurt in individual cups, and they have little cups of fruit stuff attached. So basically you peel off the top, pour in the topping, and mix them together. But I would imagine that there's sugar in the fruit part. But the yogurt part is plain, unsweetened yogurt.

You can buy Fage Greek Yogurt in individual cups, and they have little cups of fruit stuff attached. So basically you peel off the top, pour in the topping, and mix them together. But I would imagine that there's sugar in the fruit part. But the yogurt part is plain, unsweetened yogurt.

I don't mind the natural sugar that the fruit contains - I'm just trying to avoid the added sugar. I'll have to check those out and see if the sugar is just from the fruit or if they added more on top of that.

Just fyi, in a container of Chobani no sugar added plain yogurt there are about 7 g of *naturally occurring* sugars from the lactose in the milk. So keeping that in mind, a container of flavored yogurt with a few (or 5-6) extra grams of sugar from added fruit might be acceptable to you. :)

I wonder if yogurt with fruit "needs" to have sugar to act as a preservative?

I'm generally happy adding my own fruit to plain yogurt, but for things like kid's lunches it would be handy to have sugar-free fruit yogurt. I just wonder if it is possible?

Bill

Just fyi, in a container of Chobani no sugar added plain yogurt there are about 7 g of *naturally occurring* sugars from the lactose in the milk. So keeping that in mind, a container of flavored yogurt with a few (or 5-6) extra grams of sugar from added fruit might be acceptable to you. :)

Aldi's brand has 18g of sugar - ugh!

I wonder if yogurt with fruit "needs" to have sugar to act as a preservative?

I'm generally happy adding my own fruit to plain yogurt, but for things like kid's lunches it would be handy to have sugar-free fruit yogurt. I just wonder if it is possible?

Bill

Hmm - hadn't thought of that.