Menu

Looking for fun birthday suggestions for 9 yr. old boy

Well, you could still do a HP party & just not show the movie. Ds had a HP party a few years back. We did 'classes' (Potions; Charms; Transfiguration; Immobulus; Quidditch Practice; Muggle Study) where they did science experiments &/or games for each class.

We set up our foyer to look like a train station & I even made some red curtains look like the brick wall & they had to 'run through' the wall to enter.

Loads of fun!

Well, you could still do a HP party & just not show the movie. Ds had a HP party a few years back. We did 'classes' (Potions; Charms; Transfiguration; Immobulus; Quidditch Practice; Muggle Study) where they did science experiments &/or games for each class.

We set up our foyer to look like a train station & I even made some red curtains look like the brick wall & they had to 'run through' the wall to enter.

Loads of fun!

:iagree: We did a HP party for my ds this past summer when he turned 7. We also had a brick wall Platform 9 3/4 to run through, then they got on the Hogwarts Express and "rode" to Hogwarts, where they had a feast in the Great Hall. Then, they were sorted into houses and their wand "chose" them. Then we had Potions, Quidditch, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Divination Classes. I divided them up into 4 groups, and a "Prefect" adult took the groups around to each class. We had pumpkin juice and chocolate frogs and fizzing whisbees. It was the best party we've ever had!

ETA: Half the kids attending had never read the books or seen the movies, and they still had a lot of fun.

:iagree: We did a HP party for my ds this past summer when he turned 7. We also had a brick wall Platform 9 3/4 to run through, then they got on the Hogwarts Express and "rode" to Hogwarts, where they had a feast in the Great Hall. Then, they were sorted into houses and their wand "chose" them. Then we had Potions, Quidditch, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Divination Classes. I divided them up into 4 groups, and a "Prefect" adult took the groups around to each class. We had pumpkin juice and chocolate frogs and fizzing whisbees. It was the best party we've ever had!

ETA: Half the kids attending had never read the books or seen the movies, and they still had a lot of fun.

It sounds wonderful, but we're in an apt. Not great for an activities kind of party. The movie makes an apt. party do-able.

Alley

We just had a great Lego party for my 9yo ds. I made tie-dyed cupcakes with white frosting and candy legos on top. I made a cupcake stand out of legos and decorated it with mini figures. I cut out primary colored circles and used foam squares to put them on white lunch bags to look like legos. I bought bulk legos enough to build a little figure for each goodie bag, added a juice pouch and bag of crackers. We had a lego drop (like clothes pin drops) with dum-dum lollies for prizes. Everyone had a blast. I got a lot of ideas on pinterest.

We just had a great Lego party for my 9yo ds. I made tie-dyed cupcakes with white frosting and candy legos on top. I made a cupcake stand out of legos and decorated it with mini figures. I cut out primary colored circles and used foam squares to put them on white lunch bags to look like legos. I bought bulk legos enough to build a little figure for each goodie bag, added a juice pouch and bag of crackers. We had a lego drop (like clothes pin drops) with dum-dum lollies for prizes. Everyone had a blast. I got a lot of ideas on pinterest.

There are GREAT Lego party ideas on Pinterest!

Also wanted to add a possible Lego activity. We just did this at our last Cub Scout meeting. It's a two team relay. Kids line up in two lines. At "go", kids go to table where there is a small bucket of Legos, and a Lego platform in front of the bucket. (Each team has there own bucket and platform). They take one piece from the bucket and add it to the platform. Then they return to the line and tag the next player who goes to the bucket and adds one more piece to the platform. Keep going until all the Legos are used up. The team with the highest tower wins. If the tower falls before/during a player's turn, he must fix the tower, but not add any Legos.