Menu

Help and advice... TOG & MFW

anba

We are in the process of deciding to homeschool our kids starting in the fall. They will be in 10th, 8th, 6th, 3rd, K, and 2yo. All of the older kids have been in ps since K.

I am trying to decide between TOG and MFW. I like the simplicity of MFW, but love the idea of keeping them all on the same cycle that comes with TOG. I have read more threads than I can count on this subject and still am having trouble deciding :confused:

Being a new homeschool parent, do you think TOG be too difficult to learn and implement with 5 kids? It seems that there is just so much to look at and do. I know that I will be spending quite a lot of time with my K learning to read and write and my 3rd grader. I also know that this will be a huge adjustment for the older 3 and they are going to need a lot of guidance at first.

So, do you think TOG is doable or should I stick with my 1st choice MFW? With MFW being pretty much planned out, do you think it would be a better choice for a new to homeschool family? I am so torn and still have no clue which way to lean :001_unsure:

BTW... I love the amount of biblical study that is part of MFW and am curious how much is actually part of TOG. It wouldn't be a make it or break it concern, but for those of you that have used TOG, what is your opinion?

Also, for those of you who have used MFW, would it be possible to sub out the science? I am really liking apologia science series and would love to incorporate that into my younger kids learning if I choose MFW.

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Take this with a grain of salt, as I am reevalutating my own homeschool plan and path. In your shoes, regardless of any financial concerns, I would go with MFW. I say that because I think it would be easier to get your olders working a bit more independently during this first year. Maybe next year switch to TOG.

I have decided against MFW, because of how much of a conservative Christian slant it has. The worldview is woven throughout the curriculum and that does not work for me, but I think would for you. I am still considering TOG, because I am hoping the religious studies are more segregated and therefore easier to skip over.

Hope that helps!

While I love TOG, I think MFW would be easier on you. You may want something all planned out for you that first year. It's not going to be an easy year for you and having someone plan out one part of it may make the year go smoother for you. Supposedly with MFW, you can put all the kids but the 10th grader into one plan (for example Creation to the Greeks) and put the 10th grader into the high school program for ancient times. I would call their office if you go this direction - they may also suggest the K has their own program, but I would just focus on reading, handwriting, and math with that child.

There will always be time to get to TOG after your first year. Just getting the basics done that first year may be a challenge. Don't beat up on yourself. It's a big job you're undertaking!

Beth

I too was torn between TOG and MFW. I really wanted the kids to be on the same history cycle. I ended up staying with MFW because I love having everything planned out for me. This year I am not making myself totally stick to their plan though. We are enjoying have the freedom to add things in here and there. For example, we love Apologia so I am adding that along as well. It is going great. We had been with MFW our first few years homeschooling. Then we went another way for awhile. This year has been our first year back. Once I let go of following the guide to a T it has been a perfect fit for us. :) I think when just starting out it is an awesome way to go. :)

I don't have five kids, but I think that the advantage of TOG is that everyone is studying the same era. I don't know about MFW.

I think that if you get your curriculum early and really study it over the summer, you can get a handle on how to plan pretty quickly. There is a bit of a learning curve, but that is mainly because there is so much to choose from. The planning comes from deciding what to do, but everything is there--just pick. The difficulty in TOG is deciding what not to do.

I agree with the pp that your year will not be easy, but that doesn't mean it will be bad. Quite the contrary. I think you will have to give yourself lots of grace, and don't set expectations that are unreasonable the first year. In time, little by little, things will come together. You can take TOG and just do the very minimum the first year and add in year by year the threads that interest you as you grow in your ability to plan and work out your routine.

IMO, things that are already all planned out make me squirm. I always end up changing it or not doing it at all because it wasn't my plan, but that is just me. If you feel that you would be more confident using something open-and-go, you might be better off with MFW.

I have decided against MFW, because of how much of a conservative Christian slant it has. The worldview is woven throughout the curriculum and that does not work for me, but I think would for you. I am still considering TOG, because I am hoping the religious studies are more segregated and therefore easier to skip over.

A slight Hijack: Simka, I have come to the same conclusions. Even though my older liked the look and independence of MFW, by the time we got done with the substitution list there was not much left to justify the expense. We have done TOG before and loved it, so we are going back (In fact we were in the Byzantiam section of Yr 2 when we became Orthodox, and took a looooong break) .

There are many Catholic families using ToG and there is also an Orthodox TOG Yahoo group (though inactive for a while; I just posted to it in the hopes of a revival.). HTH!

I have used both programs and am currently still using TOG with one of my children. The others I am switching to Heart of Dakota. I would not use TOG unless you are a very organized person who doesn't get overwhelmed easily. You have a lot of kids and it is a lot to plan and do with that many kids. You would still have to read a loud a lot, do the activities and hold discussions with the oldest ones.

You really need something that the older ones can work through indpendently. My kids are somewhat similar in age to yours. My recommendation is put the kids in MFW this way:

10th grader - Their own HS program

8th & 6th grader - Combine them

3rd - Seperate program OR combine with K but only do history/science together

K - Work on Reading & Writing & Math

My other thought for you is to investigate Heart of Dakota. In your case, I would:

10th & 8th grader: Combine in Creation to Christ with extensions for the older student. Own level Language Arts and Math. These two would work mostly independently.

6th & 3rd grade: Combine them in Preparing Hearts for His Glory with extensions for the older student. Own level Language Arts and Math. You would work with them more.

K - Same as above OR Little Hearts for His Glory.

We are in the process of deciding to homeschool our kids starting in the fall. They will be in 10th, 8th, 6th, 3rd, K, and 2yo. All of the older kids have been in ps since K.

I am trying to decide between TOG and MFW. I like the simplicity of MFW, but love the idea of keeping them all on the same cycle that comes with TOG. I have read more threads than I can count on this subject and still am having trouble deciding :confused:

Being a new homeschool parent, do you think TOG be too difficult to learn and implement with 5 kids? It seems that there is just so much to look at and do. I know that I will be spending quite a lot of time with my K learning to read and write and my 3rd grader. I also know that this will be a huge adjustment for the older 3 and they are going to need a lot of guidance at first.

So, do you think TOG is doable or should I stick with my 1st choice MFW? With MFW being pretty much planned out, do you think it would be a better choice for a new to homeschool family? I am so torn and still have no clue which way to lean :001_unsure:

BTW... I love the amount of biblical study that is part of MFW and am curious how much is actually part of TOG. It wouldn't be a make it or break it concern, but for those of you that have used TOG, what is your opinion?

Also, for those of you who have used MFW, would it be possible to sub out the science? I am really liking apologia science series and would love to incorporate that into my younger kids learning if I choose MFW.

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

I have five kids (K, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 9th grade this year). It is our first year homeschooling as well. I personally love TOG! I spent all spring and summer last year getting familiar with it (as well as the other things we were using) and planning. I like to plan, but I wouldn't say I am particularly organized. That's why I planned everything ahead of time. This year has gone surprisingly well!

I took a couple of weeks in the beginning of our school year to work with the older kids (everyone but the youngest) on self-scheduling. I made up a weekly planning chart where they go through and write all their TOG assignments down for the week using the SAP. They are expected to do most everything except art projects and writing (we don't use Writing Aids). They CAN pick an art project, but I don't require it. We have discussions on Thursdays (or mini-discussions earlier in the week if they have questions). The kids have responded very well to the self-scheduling, and by now don't really have any problems with getting it done. It has helped them to be much more independent.

For my youngest, we basically read the book suggestions and talk about it. Occasionally, we work on a project. For the most part, we just focus on math and phonics with him. Next year, we will be doing some of the worksheets because his writing ability has grown by leaps and bounds this year.

I really haven't had to do much planning during the year except for requesting books from the library because I had everything planned this summer. I do read the parent notes each week, and that takes a little time, but I can do that while I'm waiting at dance, drama, tae kwon do, or one of the many other times I have to sit and wait for my kids :001_smile:

So, while I may be the atypical TOG parent (sometimes I really think I must be after reading some threads), I don't find TOG hard to implement. My kids enjoy it, and they have really learned SO much! AND it has been a lifesaver with 5 kids.....they are all on the same page, unlike in some other subjects.

ETA:

This is one of the things that I love about TOG. I love the picture of how God is woven throughout human history is presented in TOG. In year one, my kids will have read through a good portion of the Bible. In years 2-4, the focus is more on the Church, but biblical application is still so relevant.

Edited by mandymom

I have no experience with MFW, but in all honesty, if I were a brand new homeschooler with that many children, I would not do history for at least the first semester. I have found it hard enough to come up with a schedule with just 2 littles. I cannot imagine the kind of juggling that must go on to teach that many. Give yourself a few months with the 3 R's before deciding on history.

I have no experience with MFW, but in all honesty, if I were a brand new homeschooler with that many children, I would not do history for at least the first semester. I have found it hard enough to come up with a schedule with just 2 littles. I cannot imagine the kind of juggling that must go on to teach that many. Give yourself a few months with the 3 R's before deciding on history.

I think it is different when you start homeschooling with older kids, esp high school ones like the OP. At that point, you have to consider high school credits and such. You might consider this suggestion or at least history-lite for the kindy child though.

I think planning ahead of time is the key. Also, don't be too hard on yourself. It's not going to go smoothly every day. Some weeks won't go smoothly :001_smile: It will all be OK!

Edited by mandymom

Thank you all for the wonderful insight. You have given me quite a lot to think about.

I really think besides the 3r's that history is very important. I do really want to keep my kids on the same history cycle, if for no other reason then to try to foster better bonds between with group discussions. One of the reasons we are thinking of pulling them out of ps is to try to bring them all closer together as a family.

I love the looks of MFW and the seemingly ease of use, but I am concerned that having my oldest (15) off the family history cycle from the get go will not help her to grow closer to her other siblings. I realize that at her age most of her work needs to be independent anyway, but I still want her to be part of our "group stuff".

Oh, if I could just find something that combines the ease of MFW with the group cycle of TOG... the world would be a better place :lol: Isn't that what we all strive to find... the perfect curriculum?!?!

Thank you all for the wonderful insight. You have given me quite a lot to think about.

I really think besides the 3r's that history is very important. I do really want to keep my kids on the same history cycle, if for no other reason then to try to foster better bonds between with group discussions. One of the reasons we are thinking of pulling them out of ps is to try to bring them all closer together as a family.

I love the looks of MFW and the seemingly ease of use, but I am concerned that having my oldest (15) off the family history cycle from the get go will not help her to grow closer to her other siblings. I realize that at her age most of her work needs to be independent anyway, but I still want her to be part of our "group stuff".

Oh, if I could just find something that combines the ease of MFW with the group cycle of TOG... the world would be a better place :lol: Isn't that what we all strive to find... the perfect curriculum?!?!

I can totally relate as I have struggled with this so much. I mentioned to my oldest last night that I think she will just end up being on her own cycle. She seemed happy which surprised me. I think she is looking forward to the indpendence as well as the one on one time we will have. I agree MFW and TOG blended somehow would be perfect. :)