Menu

Sonlight or is there something else?

frugalmama

I'm working on finalizing our plans for this fall, and I'd like to incorporate something for read-alouds and a world history & cultures overview. Our other plans are:

MCP Math B

R&S Spelling 3

Behold and See 2 science

Pathway readers and workbooks

ZB handwriting

R&S 3rd grade social studies - learning about communities

Tour the Continents unit study

Map Skills B

I'm eyeing adding in Sonlight Core B or B+C combined {not sure what they are called now}. DD is a strong reader and reads on about a 3rd grade level, but will be just barely 6 at the start of the school year. I like the literature basis for Sonlight, but I'm not that keen on the religious aspect of many of their selections.

Is there another option out there? TOG? Biblioplan? I know nothing about anything other than sonlight, so spam me with links to something that might work for us. Cost is a factor too - we'll be using the library as much as possible.

Have you looked at Intellego Unit Studies? Secular from what I remember, and I think I saw a deal for them on Homeschool Buyers Co-op not too long ago (not too sure if it's there).

We've used the Sonlight booklists--but left off the IGs, and it's worked well so far (although we might bite the bullet and actually buy IGs next year). :) That allows me to pick and choose if things are too religious for us. There's also a Secular Sonlighters Yahoo Group which has great ideas on which books to avoid, etc. Although to be honest, we're not ignoring all religious aspects, because I do believe knowledge of Christianity (along with all of the other World religions including Paganism) is necessary because there's so many references in literature, etc. I remember reading one book about missionaries with my kids and we talked about why they do this... what our beliefs are... etc. I want my kids to view people of all faiths (and no faith) with respect--and to understand why some of their practices/beliefs may be different from ours.

If you do go with Sonlight, I wouldn't go any higher than Core B with a 6 year old, no matter what their reading level. B+C covers 1800 years of world history in 36 weeks, and the pace would be much too fast for a child younger than 9 or 10.

If you're looking for an overview of culture, rather than world history, you may consider Sonlight's Core A which is itself an overview of culture. I used it with a gifted 6 year old (reading at least on a 4th or 5th grade level at the time, now about to turn 10, reading at a high school level) and it wasn't too "easy" for him.

Sorry, I can't help you with other curricula, because we've used SL up to this year, when I put together my own study of state history.

I would also suggest the SL A core, rather than core B or B+C. It has some great read-alouds and history overview books, and you can add in more ancient history books and activities if you and/or you child wish.

Core B is a stretch for a 6 year old, unless they are really good at long read-alouds and detailed history readings, such as they'd get from the Children's History of the World and many of the read-alouds. Or you could stretch core B over 18 months - two years.

I've used both Cores A and B, and found that the child gets a lot more out of the readings and history when they are a little older than the youngest recommended age. I find it a lot more fun to speed up a core when a child is really loving the readings, than overwhelming the child. You also seem to have a really full load of academics in other subject areas, so going a little lighter on the history takes the pressure off trying to fit in long history read-alouds.

I would also suggest the SL A core, rather than core B or B+C. It has some great read-alouds and history overview books, and you can add in more ancient history books and activities if you and/or you child wish.

Core B is a stretch for a 6 year old, unless they are really good at long read-alouds and detailed history readings, such as they'd get from the Children's History of the World and many of the read-alouds. Or you could stretch core B over 18 months - two years.

I've used both Cores A and B, and found that the child gets a lot more out of the readings and history when they are a little older than the youngest recommended age. I find it a lot more fun to speed up a core when a child is really loving the readings, than overwhelming the child. You also seem to have a really full load of academics in other subject areas, so going a little lighter on the history takes the pressure off trying to fit in long history read-alouds.

Core A looked a lot more religious based than B from the overview in the catalog - that's why we vetoed it in favor of Core B. Plus DD needs the 3rd grade readers and schedule - she's read 90% of the 1st and 2nd grade selections.

DD is gifted - as long as we take it slow I think she'll do okay with Core B. She loves school, and normally asks to do more.

Have you looked at Ambleside Online? I originally looked into using Sonlight because my sister-in-law loves it, but when I started comparing curriculum based on living books, I liked the booklist from Ambleside the best. We started with Year 1 and are currently in Year 4, and have enjoyed each year. Also, a lot of the books are public domain, so you can download on your Kindle for free.

Take care,

Suzanne

Core A looked a lot more religious based than B from the overview in the catalog - that's why we vetoed it in favor of Core B. Plus DD needs the 3rd grade readers and schedule - she's read 90% of the 1st and 2nd grade selections.

DD is gifted - as long as we take it slow I think she'll do okay with Core B. She loves school, and normally asks to do more.

I went back and looked at the book list for Core A because it's been 3 years since we did this Core. The only really religious titles I saw were I Heard the Good News Today and the Ergermeier's Bible Story book. Those could easily be eliminated from Core A and wouldn't touch the content of the overall Core. The main spine for Core A is the Usborne Children's Encyclopedia, which is secular, and all of the other Read Alouds are secular.

I'm not trying to tell you that you MUST do Core A, but I wanted to point out, from someone who has done that Core (also with a gifted child), that the religious overtones you read in the catalog description of the Core aren't exactly there if you eliminate the 2 religious books I mentioned. You certainly could do Core B with a 6 year old, but I wouldn't eliminate Core A for the reasons you stated above.

I would recommend Biblioplan. If you have the time, there is a thread right now called something like 'Just for the heck of it . . . Biblioplan?' where I have talked about the things that really work for our family. :001_smile: We switched to BP from SL and one of the reasons was because we loved the books in SL, but wanted more true classical cycles. Anyway, peruse the other thread if you get the chance. ;)