Menu

Energy Star refrigerator worth it?

My fridge died overnight. :glare: So I'm looking at new fridges, and I'm wondering if the energy star rated ones really save a significant amount on the electric bill. Maybe this a stupid question. If so, please be gentle. The 2 fridges I'm looking at so far are 460 kilowatts/year vs 300.

I didn't think you could buy appliances that WEREN'T energy star rated anymore.
:iagree:

Our fridge died last year. While researching/shopping for a new one, I was shocked at all of the horrible reviews. I had several sales people tell me that the newer models - in order to be more energy efficient - simply aren't as well made as older models.

Even though I researched endlessly, I returned the first two within days because the quality was so terrible. I have been pleased with my Samsung, but haven't noticed any energy savings.

Hmm. I suppose they are all rated, aren't they. Some just better than others. Is there a huge difference between 300-460?
The second uses half again the energy of the first. If you have flat-rate electricity, you can easily calculate the yearly savings at your current rate. Your electric company may even have online calculators.