Menu

Anyone Take Lovenox Injections During Pregnancy?

DD32 (33 next week) is 11 weeks pg (Stacey - my dd who has had two late 2nd trimester losses) -- she is taking Lovenox injections once a day.

She started them last thursday. This morning she noticed some red pinpoint spots on her chest.

She has a call in to her perinat, and I did read that this is a typical side effect but does warrant a call to one's doctor.

Anyone have this? What was protocol?

Thanks --

I foresee a very tense and stressful pregnancy I am sorry to say.

Those are referred to as petechiae (pi-tea-kii-i) and are indeed a side effect of lovenox. Lovenox thins the blood and these spots are tiny areas of bleeding under the skin. I would call the doc on Monday just to make sure, the may want to check her platelet level and maybe a pt/ptt to make sure her blood isn't too thin.

Those are referred to as petechiae (pi-tea-kii-i) and are indeed a side effect of lovenox. Lovenox thins the blood and these spots are tiny areas of bleeding under the skin. I would call the doc on Monday just to make sure, the may want to check her platelet level and maybe a pt/ptt to make sure her blood isn't too thin.

Melissa - Thanks! :grouphug: That was precisely what I told her -- I think she was so surprised that something showed up that quickly which I pointed out to her meant that it was clearly in her system -- the lovenox, that is.

Thanks again -- I foresee MANY such phone calls like this from her -- I took heparin for my last two pregnancies but this is all WAY NEW for DD32 (who will be 33 next week).

I agree that it's normal, but also that she should call to have her levels checked. I took it during part of my last pregnancy. I also experienced mild, period-like bleeding off and on that was linked to the lovenox (so tell her not to panic if she sees this--I had no clue and totally freaked out!).

I also occasionally got multicolored bruises the diameter of baseballs at the injection sites. Wicked stuff, but if it's needed, you gotta do it!

Good luck to her!

Melissa nailed it.

I am praying for a peace beyond understanding, Mariann. A healthy, stress free, joyful pregnancy and a beautiful healthy baby! God is so good, and He knows the desires of Stacey's heart. We don't understand why she's lost two babies, but I pray her heart is healed by this little one. And yours too. Much love to you all. Please be sure and keep us updated on how Stacey and baby are doing. :grouphug:

I agree that it's normal, but also that she should call to have her levels checked. I took it during part of my last pregnancy. I also experienced mild, period-like bleeding off and on that was linked to the lovenox (so tell her not to panic if she sees this--I had no clue and totally freaked out!).

I also occasionally got multicolored bruises the diameter of baseballs at the injection sites. Wicked stuff, but if it's needed, you gotta do it!

Good luck to her!

Thanks! :grouphug:

Yup -- I was one huge bruise across my belly -- but, i told stacey the same thing -- you have to do what you have to do!:grouphug:

Melissa nailed it.

I am praying for a peace beyond understanding, Mariann. A healthy, stress free, joyful pregnancy and a beautiful healthy baby! God is so good, and He knows the desires of Stacey's heart. We don't understand why she's lost two babies, but I pray her heart is healed by this little one. And yours too. Much love to you all. Please be sure and keep us updated on how Stacey and baby are doing. :grouphug:

Nakia -- Thanks so much --:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I cannot even begin to imagine how she feels.....and I'm her mother!!!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I took Lovenox during four pregnancies. I did not experience that particular side effect. I am very glad your dd is finally being anticoagulated during pregnancy. There is an excellent chance that the lovenox will make a big difference.

I took Lovenox injections for my youngest after losing a baby at term (due to placental abruption). I did not have the side-effect you mentioned, but I just want to offer :grouphug: to you and your daughter. I know that was the longest pregnancy of my life. I was freaked out over ever blip. :grouphug:

I did not have that side effect while on Lovenox, but did take Lovenox during my last 2 pregnancies. After two late miscarriages, I was so thankful for those shots every day. I read about your daughters losses with a heavy heart. I hope everything goes well during this pregnancy.

I had to during my 2nd pregnancy with DD. I never had any side effects from the Lovenox though. I can't remember if I did those twice daily or once, but the pregnancy went fine. I hope hers' is uneventful as well:)

I took Lovenox during four pregnancies. I did not experience that particular side effect. I am very glad your dd is finally being anticoagulated during pregnancy. There is an excellent chance that the lovenox will make a big difference.

You're welcome I think I have given a million lovenox injections in my nursing career. I hope she has an uneventful pregnancy with a beautiful blessing at the end.

I took Lovenox injections for my youngest after losing a baby at term (due to placental abruption). I did not have the side-effect you mentioned, but I just want to offer :grouphug: to you and your daughter. I know that was the longest pregnancy of my life. I was freaked out over ever blip.

I cannot imagine what she (and YOU!!!)is going through.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sorry I can't be of any help......

I did not have that side effect while on Lovenox, but did take Lovenox during my last 2 pregnancies. After two late miscarriages, I was so thankful for those shots every day. I read about your daughters losses with a heavy heart. I hope everything goes well during this pregnancy.

Thank you all so much for the information and your kind wishes. I, too, am very hopeful that the lovenox will be what she needs to be able to bring home a healthy wonderful baby. :grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug:Thank you again!