Menu

WWE Question

nov05mama

I am pretty sure I've made up my mind to just do WWE1 anyway, but I wanted to get some feedback just in case ;)

Would you rather it be a little "easy" as far as dictation and copywork if you want your child to have more "practice" with comprehension? (i.e. WWE1)

Or, would you want it to be slightly challenging all around? (i.e. WWE2)

DS will be 7 when we start and when previewing the copy work and dictation for WWE1, it is something he could technically have started this year (totally kicking myself) but I worry that jumping ahead to WWE2 might have a tendency to lead to some frustration.

He does OK with comprehension, but not great (he's a VERY V/S learner, so focusing when someone is reading out loud to him is challenging period) and the writing length for the copy work and dictation is fine in either book. WWE1 will be not much of a challenge dictation/copywork wise, but WWE2, I think, would be the right amount of challenge.

I hope at least some of this makes sense...it's late :lol:

*** UPDATE ***

Thank you all again for your help! I just wanted to update to let you know that I picked up WWE1 at our local homeschool store today and we started the first 2 lessons already and LOVED it! I think it was definitely the right decision to start WWE1 now and move through it between now and when we start the 'new' year and start WWE2 then. Thank you all so much for your feedback and advice! I love the Hive!!

Edited by nov05mama
Update :)

You could do just the story/comprehension parts of WWE 1 easily between now and summer, then start WWE 2 in the fall.

:iagree: It is also very easy to do 2 'days' per session and you can move through at least twice as fast. Days 1 & 2 together would be one plain copywork with one narration, and Days 3 & 4 would be copywork and a narration + copywork.

My son turned 7 in December and I wanted to wait to start WWE1 with him until some other skills were a bit more solid, and so now we do 2 lessons (as others have mentioned) 4 days a week (we started a month ago or so). You can also skip some near the middle/end if you feel like he has mastered the process and want to get going on WWE2. I feel like WWE1 is a nice, gentle introduction to the skills required in the later books. My dd9 is in WWE3 now.

Thanks for the help everyone!! I really appreciate it!!

You could do just the story/comprehension parts of WWE 1 easily between now and summer, then start WWE 2 in the fall.

That's a good idea too! We might just do that actually! I pretty much knew I wanted to start with WWE1 anyway, but wanted a little reassurance it was the right move. Doing your idea might work out even better! Thank you!

Thank you all again for your help! I just wanted to update to let you know that I picked up WWE1 at our local homeschool store today and we started the first 2 lessons already and LOVED it! I think it was definitely the right decision to start WWE1 now and move through it between now and when we start the 'new' year and start WWE2 then. Thank you all so much for your feedback and advice! I love the Hive!!

Workbook is sufficient, but I highly recommend purchasing the $3.99 lecture on teaching writing in the elementary years, so you know WHY you're doing what you're doing.

Is this still recommended if a person has the WWE Teacher Text, too?

I see OP has made a decision, but I just wanted to add that I just started my DD9 in level 1, too. I use the longer sentences for copywork. We are doing one whole week of work per day (3 or 4 days/wk) right now and it still only takes about 15-20 minutes.