Menu

What to do next?

I posted on the K-8 board and didn't get any responses but I just realized theres a special needs board so I decided to post it here too.

This is for my special needs kiddo. He will be 7 this month. He has cerebral palsy and ADHD (I suspect dyslexia too). I've been going really slow with him and trying to work at his pace. He started MFW K when he was 5 1/2 and we spread out the units and I added to it until I felt we could move on. It paid off, he's reading! It's only short sentences but he's reading! :hurray:

We're about to finish MFW K and I'm not sure what to do next. I'm torn whether to combine him next fall in Core A with my youngest 3 or to let him keep moving at his pace. Until then (don't think I'm going to decide until the time comes), I need something to do with him. I've been thinking about moving onto MFW 1st but I've heard it moves fast and I'm not sure if he'll be able to keep up. I've also been looking at Oak Meadow it looks very gentle so thats something to consider.

Thoughts? :bigear:

I can't advise you on those programs but for my struggling kids, I LOVED I See Sam for reading. http://www.3rsplus.com or http://www.iseesam.com These little books take kids from just very simple things to a solid end of 3rd grade level.

For Spelling, Apples and Pears is great as well.

My kids didn't do as well with MFW and SL (even though I loved them) as they wanted clear lessons that had a start and stop point to them. They really liked ACE (School of Tomorrow) and Christian Light workbooks.

Thank you. Those look good, I remember seeing them before but I had forgot about them. I used ACE before with my older kids, I don't know if i'll able to use ACE with him though becuase it requires to much writing (and he doesn't have fine motor skills)

I just discovered Barton on here actually, does anyone have any experience with it? It is expensive but it could be worth it.

I posted on the K-8 board and didn't get any responses but I just realized theres a special needs board so I decided to post it here too.

This is for my special needs kiddo. He will be 7 this month. He has cerebral palsy and ADHD (I suspect dyslexia too). I've been going really slow with him and trying to work at his pace. He started MFW K when he was 5 1/2 and we spread out the units and I added to it until I felt we could move on. It paid off, he's reading! It's only short sentences but he's reading! :hurray:

We're about to finish MFW K and I'm not sure what to do next. I'm torn whether to combine him next fall in Core A with my youngest 3 or to let him keep moving at his pace. Until then (don't think I'm going to decide until the time comes), I need something to do with him. I've been thinking about moving onto MFW 1st but I've heard it moves fast and I'm not sure if he'll be able to keep up. I've also been looking at Oak Meadow it looks very gentle so thats something to consider.

Thoughts? :bigear:

No experience with MFW. I'd say if something is working stick with it--which I guess is moving at his own pace for your son.

For reading, and other academics, Waldorf (not Oak Mead., however) was not helpful with regard to my son's dyslexia-ish situation-- if that is something yours has, I'd go with either what is already working for you, or something with a proven track record. What worked for mine was High Noon. (I think that is the right link.) You might have a look see at this too. It could help with both reading and writing, and if manual dexterity is a problem, perhaps starting typing early would be useful.

eta: Oak Mead could be nice just for the gentleness, and perhaps ??? it could be good for CP or ADHD ???. I have no idea. Gentleness is good, but from my experience I'd be careful not to use something that does not have enough academics to it early on in the hopes that suddenly at a certain later age or stage, magic will happen.

Edited by Pen

Thanks for the links, I haven't heard of either of those! Going to look at them closer.

I'm thinking I'll do the 3R's with him at his own pace and then let him join in on history and science with my younger kiddos. Unless he can't keep up. He does like to listen to read alouds, as long as he has something to keep his hands busy. He also really likes projects and experiments even though he needs help with them and thats what I'm doing with my K'ers next year.