Menu

Catholic Moms....

I understand why you want the devotional, but at that age I have mine read one chapter in the life of a saint (usually one of the Windeatt books). It's hard not to get drawn into the saints life and think about what she/he is doing that they could be doing.

I've used this children's Imitation of Christ (not to be confused with the modern one that Amazon sells)

http://books.google.com/books/reader?id=kEUDAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader

It's very beautiful. Look at it and see if it's age appropriate for your dc.

another format of the same book is

http://www.archive.org/details/littlefollowerof00grus

Finally, around the age of 14 they like My Daily Bread by Fr. Anthony Paone. It's used by many adults and can be worked through over and over for years. I do wait until they ask for something.

Thank you for the recommendations. We have done a lot with the Saints and I have a specific purpose for this particular exercise. One twin is struggling right now with fear, insecurity, etc. She is afraid of not doing things perfectly, so she won't do it at all. Getting her to read about the Saints makes her feel like that is something she could never achieve or do. I am trying to get her day started with on an uplifting note and I thought a devotional of some sort would help with that. Does that make sense?

Yes, that does make sense. Someone on here recommended "Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking" for one of mine who struggled with perfectionism and it was extremely helpful. There is a long excerpt on google books if your library doesn't have it. She's older now and doing well. For what it's worth, she's my child who has had the most doubts about God in general. She loves sacramentals and devotional prayers that are short so. At 15 she always uses a rosary booklet with pictures because she gets upset when she is distracted. She's learned to manage her perfectionism and is a faith filled young lady now. It's so hard to have a child who is a perfectionist. Praying for you :grouphug:

Here's a link to a site with the Divine Office. It has all of the liturgical hours, but you could just do the morning prayer. There are several sites like this, but this one has audio.

http://divineoffice.org/

Probably better for a little older, though my 12 year old prays it with me sometimes, is the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. You can find it online:

http://www.liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/LittleOffice.htm

You can also buy a book. It is very similar to the Divine Office, but simplified and easier to follow.

Thank you for these sites. I might use these for the three of us in the morning.

What about a Magnificat or MagnifiKids subscription?

Sharon

Thank you. I had not seen MagnifiKids before. I know my girls would really like that. It would be a great tie-in for what we are doing already, but it adds so much. I think I am going to get the Living Faith for my "problem" twin and this one for the whole family.

Yes, that does make sense. Someone on here recommended "Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking" for one of mine who struggled with perfectionism and it was extremely helpful. There is a long excerpt on google books if your library doesn't have it. She's older now and doing well. For what it's worth, she's my child who has had the most doubts about God in general. She loves sacramentals and devotional prayers that are short so. At 15 she always uses a rosary booklet with pictures because she gets upset when she is distracted. She's learned to manage her perfectionism and is a faith filled young lady now. It's so hard to have a child who is a perfectionist. Praying for you :grouphug:

I had forgotten about that book. I need to put it on my Amazon wish list. I am working on a book suggested by the counselor at the moment. Thank you for the support and the hope that the future has promise for this kid. She has some fears/anxiety that have really come to a head since she started puberty (not the kids who could handle early puberty, no less) and there is a family history of depression etc. on dh's side, so I really worry about her. Kids should be a little more "happy go lucky" at 10. :001_unsure: