Menu

High School Hands on Learning? Special Needs Students

I have a middle schooler who has several quirky special needs with memory glitches that are unexplained, receptive language deficits, etc. We have had testing done and have been told that it is imperative for him to learn in a hands on way as much as possible, or he will likely never retain what he has learned. Lecture or test book only is a big flop for him, but participatory discussion groups are a big help.

As I think about high school I am wondering what we can find or where I can get ideas for enriching or teaching fully with hands on activities mixed in, or with the use of video storytelling, etc (not Teaching Company style lectures). I am perplexed about how we will meet his learning needs at those upper levels when so much is traditional textbook/lecture oriented curriculum.

Anyone else out there have a kid like this and have suggestions?

Not exactly like your situation, but I have a very visual/kinesthetic learner and I don't always use the traditional methods for her. I believe what is important isn't so much how the material enters as how it is rehearsed for long term memory. I use textbooks that are very visual (e.g., BJU Earth Science over Apologia as BJU has more illustrations) and I have her draw, paint or recreate key information. If she liked legos, I would figure out a way for her to explain jet streams with them lol. If you've found an approach that works for him now, just continue but selectively assign material. Is he planning on college or would he be more likely to go to vocational school? Could he do an extra year and then go to a junior college? That would allow him to spend more time with hands on assignments.

Here are a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure if they would meet with your criteria:

Nova - These are science documentaries on PBS that are usually presented in a very interesting and understandable manner. Here is their education page, which has many hands on activities.

NASA has a lot of hands on activities. They also have regional libraries that will send you a lot of free materials.

Math U See uses manipulatives - maybe that would be a match?

Sketchpad, Tinker Plots, Fathom from Key Curriculum Press (not sure if this really qualifies as "hands on" in your context)

Patty Paper Geometry - we have enjoyed using this. It has two levels for each concept. One is a guided, step by step activity and the other is an exploration activity.

Science Buddies is a great place to find science projects.

Hands on History - here is a downloadable guidebook for hands on high school history. I've never used it, I just found it by searching for "hands on high school history."

Field Trips - make plans to take advantage of every field trip opportunity possible. Visit state historic sites, science museums, university department open houses, various business establishments, etc.

What about projects? Here's an idea page for high school.

Geography - here are some map maker kits from National Geographic

Thanks all! Some great suggestions here and I really appreciate your ideas. I have looked at KONOS in the past and might have to revisit it now that I have a better handle on what Kenny's needs are...thanks for the reminder about it!

Cindy