Menu

History for 1st grade?

nertsmommy

I used MFW for K and to fill the entire year I will be adding HOD's LHFHG. I have been looking ahead at 1st grade stuff and think I might try to piece together for it rather than buying a curriculum set since I have changed things anyway. I have found what I like for everything except history. I have to admit I never really cared for that subject so I am having a hard time getting excited about looking for what I want.

What do you recommend? I would really like something that will not bore my DS like I was.

Thank you.

SOTW. My son LOVES history thanks to SOTW. We did SOTW1 last year (Ancients) and are doing SOTW2 this year. He's read all 4 volumes already (twice!) because they peaked his interest so much. Love, love, love it. It's very easy to use, and you can do as much or as little as you want. There are even audio CDs if you don't want to read it yourself. ;) The Activity Guide has narration questions, map work (that is just right for a first grader - color this, draw a line here, put an X on this... no labeling cities or anything like that, which is often difficult for a first grader), and various projects to choose from, plus lots of extra reading recommendations that you can get from the library easily.

My youngest uses HOD, but if we didn't we'd still use similar books. I like good, rich living history books.

I've heard good things about SOTW, but wouldn't use it myself because we don't study ancients or middle ages until much later in elementary or even middle school.

Have you looked at Beautiful Feet?

ETA: This would be a great pack for 1st grade. Your library may have many/most of these titles.

http://bfbooks.com/E-A-History-Primary-Literature-Pack

Edited by raceNzanesmom
had to fix that typo

Thank you so much! I looked over the SOTW and I got excited about it. I looked at Beautiful Feet as well. I think I'd like to use some of the books for read-aloud time.

Now I need to decide if I am going to put together my own selections or continue with a combo of MFW followed by HOD to make a complete year.