Menu

GAPS-how was your start?

Our nutritionist wants us to do the GAPS diet for our son. She told us to immediately take him off gluten and dairy but we are meeting with her again today to discuss how to implement the GAPS diet.

It seems that right now he trouble with all grains including rice and corn even g free other grains. So he has been eating hardly anything. We haven't even started the gaps diet just refrained from the above and it is proving difficult.

So, if you have done it,or even a modified version, how did the start go? How upset was your child? How long did it take them to start eating the food you provided.

Info: he is not autistic or special needs but having reactions to nearly everything which produces hives and ADHD symptoms.

Thank you for any help,

Roanna

My children were very sick for 3 days, then ate nothing for a few more, lost weight and smelled terrible, then one day woke up and ate everything in sight! They went from being picky children to eating every veggie known to man and in huge quantities :D. I honestly can't believe it myself.

You really have to hang in there for that first few days to few weeks. Just pretend that they have the flu and treat them accordingly.

I am doing Intro for myself (started yesterday) and am sick today. I honestly believe in this diet, as I have seen the miracle for my family with my own eyes. YOU have to hang it there; be ruthless and keep it a priority. It is worth it though! Just keep reminding yourself that after 6 weeks in you will be totally over the hump.

I actually saw your prior thread and went to that site. It does look good.

I sincerely dreading doing this diet. I already went through researching GFCF for my husband in October and it changed his life. But he's an adult and he was so out of it that he just ate what I gave him.

Children are a different matter. It's been very difficult these last few days with no grains/dairy/dyes/ etc. All he wants to eat are these Veggie type chips made from potato starch and vegetable powders from tomatoes, spinach etc.

Even on gaps he couldn't eat those.

He did eat almond flour biscuits for 24 hours straight. Now he's sick of those.

Ugh.

I haven't started yet (we're prepping for it), but I am TOTALLY using this to help. http://www.healthhomehappy.com/grain-free-2/30-days-on-gaps-intro-e-book

The sample is fabulous.

I have done intro for the family twice before- once using only the GAPS book and the second time using the above e-book. What a difference! The e-book is fabulous, and the recipes actually taste yummy! It is especially easy if you treat it like a curriculum- tweak it to fit you!

I advise, too, to keep good notes (easy if you print out the e-book- just write in the margin). It is very helpful to keep the info on paper so that you can make good decisions (or revisit decisions). I write the date I made the meal, how we were feeling, suggestions for tweaking the next time the recipe shows up, etc.

I actually saw your prior thread and went to that site. It does look good.

I sincerely dreading doing this diet. I already went through researching GFCF for my husband in October and it changed his life. But he's an adult and he was so out of it that he just ate what I gave him.

Children are a different matter. It's been very difficult these last few days with no grains/dairy/dyes/ etc. All he wants to eat are these Veggie type chips made from potato starch and vegetable powders from tomatoes, spinach etc.

Even on gaps he couldn't eat those.

He did eat almond flour biscuits for 24 hours straight. Now he's sick of those.

Ugh.

The easiest thing for me was to get rid of everything in the house that is not on our stage of GAPS. That way, when temptation came calling there was nothing to eat but what we were supposed to. It is tough! But so worth it!

We just got back from our nutritionist and she told us to go on the after stage 6 diet, the eat and don't eat list one.

This is so much easier for us. If we are not successful then we will move backwards but she feels that its the right way for us.

Soooo glad.

We just got back from our nutritionist and she told us to go on the after stage 6 diet, the eat and don't eat list one.

:iagree:

This is what we used on advice from DD's kidney doctor. It really has lots of foods to choose from and is pretty kid-friendly. It made a HUGE difference for little DD's allergy and tummy problems.

She advised us that we really need to make our own yogurt.

Do you all do that?

If so with what? A specific machine , oven etc?

I'd rather not buy a machine if possible.

FWIW we are on day 3 of no sugar and it seems to be cutting back significantly on the hyperactivity.

I am struggling with finding a vitamin that works for kids. We esp need zinc.

Edited by roanna

She advised us that we really need to make our own yogurt.

Do you all do that?

If so with what? A specific machine , oven etc?

I'd rather not buy a machine if possible.

FWIW we are on day 3 of no sugar and it seems to be cutting back significantly on the hyperactivity.

I am struggling with finding a vitamin that works for kids. We esp need zinc.

AFAIK you can make yogurt in a Crockpot.

Umm at a quick glance it looks like you said aflak :)

I did see that too but it looks kind of so so ....rotating warm/off warm/off.

Have you done it?

I make yogurt the easy way: We buy raw milk that lasts one week in the fridge. On the last day of the week I heat the milk that is left to 180, let cool to room temperature, pour into quart jars, add a dollop of Nancy's yogurt, close and shake. Then I put the jars in a metal roasting dish that has been filled with water and put the whole thing on the wood stove for 24 hours.

I have tried to put them in a cooler with a heating pad on the bottom, but our heating pad does not get hot enough. In the summer I put it in the dehydrator at 115 degrees for 24 hours.

This does not make 'perfect' yogurt, but we love it! And hey, you can only do so much. :D My other GAPS friends in Oregon use Nancy's. Of all the store bought yogurts, it is the best! There is a cool little shop in Eugene that makes frozen sundaes using Nancy's. The owners are on GAPS, so there is always some GAPS friendly toppings available. It is so awesome to be able to go out for a treat on special days!

Edited to add: I can tell the difference between store yogurt and yogurt that has been incubated for 24 hours. I am pretty milk sensitive, so the home made stuff is the only kind I can eat without a reaction. We used to make it raw (only heating to 110) but the kids prefer the consistency of the higher-heated stuff.

Edited by happygrrl

We are still easing into the GAPS diet (or the SCD diet is more of what we are following).. We are completely grain free and dairy free.. We've been gluten free and dairy free for over two years now, but we found it necessary to eliminate all grains to control yeast. Still working on eliminating the sugar.. We are down to honey and fruit and some granulated coconut sugar.

I make yogurt in my Excalibur food dehydrator.. It's the BEST for making yogurt.. It must ferment for 24 hours. You can literally set it and forget it with the Excalibur.. No need to constantly check the temp.

We are also low oxalate so we can't use almond flour.. So we've been using coconut flour and it's really good (and so good for you). you can find a ton of good recipes at Free Coconut Recipes.

I believe you can also make yogurt in your oven, set at very low temperature.

I have one of those quart size yogurt makers and it is basically fill and go fwiw. Definitely worth the money if you're making yogurt often.

Interesting idea about the canning jars, yllek - I'll admit I just use the plastic container that came with it but I've occasionally wished I had a 2nd one so I'll have to see if a canning jar fits :)

So just one more question...I am being swayed to the dehydrater but their official video shows him with little custard bowls, when you use the dehydrater do you use larger mason jars, what size would you use for the dehydrater?

But, on this diet, it's hard to go without the use of your oven for 24 hours.

True, but I was thinking more in terms of just trying it out - when you're not sure if you want to make expenditures or not. Also, if you have a toaster oven you could probably make it there. Along those lines, my yogurt maker was only $25 - that excalibur 9 tray is $200! (although very cool looking :D ). We just have the cheapie Nesco style for about $35 (and had it before diet adjustments anyway).

Disclaimer: I am not following the gaps diet -- and although I personally follow some tenants of it, my family does not follow any - the most DH has agreed to is GF most days, and he does the majority of the cooking right now.

Oh, and as an added bonus, the dehydrator becomes very handy for making crispy nuts (soaked and dehydrated nuts... you know that if you consume nuts, you'll have to soak them for 24 hours first, right). Just get the dehydrator if you can at all swing it. It's a very handy appliance on this diet.

I agree.. I also make crackers (I bake them first, then dehydrate for more crispiness) and croutons and veggie chips, etc.. I love my Excalibur.. I also have the nine-tray.

I use these jars for making my yogurt in my Excalibur..

Doesn't Nancy's use nonfat milk powder? I've used a lot of different yogurt as cultures. My favorite is White Mountain Organic Bulgarian Yogurt. It's whole milk and cultures, and nothing else (no nonfat milk powder, no fillers, no stabilizers). As an added bonus, it is packaged in glass jars. :001_smile:

The yogurt that I get is not thin and runny. If you heat your milk past 180, just to a boil (not past that, you'll denature the proteins and get cheese), the yogurt consistency is firmer. Culturing it for 24 hours leaves it very tart, of course, but the consistency is awesome.

The Excalibur that I have is the 9-tray. Pricey, but it has freed me from the bondage that was yogurt-making. Totally worth it to me.

Ooohh, I'll look for the White Mountain! We live in a pretty rural area, so I might have to hit a neighboring big town. The Nancy's does have some dried milk in it; it is one of those concessions I make to keep me going. :D

I agree about the dehydrator. I think mine is only a 6 tray (it is down with dh at work) but I can still fit quart jars in there. I am in love with crispy walnuts, too.

In case anybody is curious liked i was....

We are on day 3 of the after stage 6 diet and we are having what I assume is yeast withdrawals. We are all very tired and feel fluish. Everyone is taking a nap. My sons eczema seems to be going down and we found out he definitely has a problem with eggs right now even though they are allowed we'll use flax meal for now as replacements.

I am dreading the stinky factor, I didn't know what people were talking about prior but i guess it will happen.

We are on day 3 of the after stage 6 diet and we are having what I assume is yeast withdrawals. We are all very tired and feel fluish. Everyone is taking a nap. My sons eczema seems to be going down and we found out he definitely has a problem with eggs right now even though they are allowed we'll use flax meal for now as replacements.

I am dreading the stinky factor, I didn't know what people were talking about prior but i guess it will happen.

This could be withdrawal from gluten too if you were not previously gluten free.

What is the "stinky factor"?

One of the first posters said that her kids stunk. We are on about day 4 or so and no one stinks so I'm happy about that. I did have a huge detox day though. It was really rough for me. My son is quite happy. He has only really been eating pistachios all day and some parmesan cheese, despite my efforts at offering soups etc.

Me and my husband have had headaches for days now. I feel it is getting better though.

This is so much easier for us. If we are not successful then we will move backwards but she feels that its the right way for us.

My son is quite happy. He has only really been eating pistachios all day and some parmesan cheese, despite my efforts at offering soups etc.

Not wanting to get on your case -- I realize that it's what your nutritionist recommended -- but is this a common way to start GAPS? It seems odd for what's supposed to be an easy-to-digest, nutrient-dense diet. In my experience, "gut healing" and "eating pistachios all day" are not exactly compatible. From a mechanical perspective, whole nuts are sort of like Brillo pads. :001_huh:

FWIW, SCD starts with chicken soup, lean beef patties, yogurt, grape juice, homemade jello, and ripe bananas. It might be a good middle ground between the GAPS stage 1 recommendations and the reality of what most children like to eat.

Not wanting to get on your case -- I realize that it's what your nutritionist recommended -- but is this a common way to start GAPS? It seems odd for what's supposed to be an easy-to-digest, nutrient-dense diet. In my experience, "gut healing" and "eating pistachios all day" are not exactly compatible. From a mechanical perspective, whole nuts are sort of like Brillo pads. :001_huh:

FWIW, SCD starts with chicken soup, lean beef patties, yogurt, grape juice, homemade jello, and ripe bananas. It might be a good middle ground between the GAPS stage 1 recommendations and the reality of what most children like to eat.

I know how hard this is, so I don't want to sound harsh. However, Eleanor is right on this one. GAPS is more than just a list of foods to avoid, it also involves specific foods to eat, specific supplementation and detoxification.

The diet part is very very similar to the SCD. I know of many who do SCD for a while, then do GAPS. I think it's a great idea to see if SCD works for you, and then venture into GAPS territory if needed. By then, your GAPS will be easier because you will be familiar with the style of food.

You can do more harm than good by only eating what tastes OK; you can develop even more allergies or have nutritional imbalances if you don't keep the food digestible, healing, varied, and full of veggies. Without careful consideration it is super easy to overdo the nuts, which should be a very small part of the diet (and eaten after the gut has started to heal).

It took me over 6 months of reading and preparing before we even began to eliminate foods (pre-GAPS). You might do better by doing more research, making, say, one SCD meal a day or adding in some SCD snacks, and being fully prepared to really go for it before you really go for it! :D

Best wishes! I know it is hard, but totally do-able! ~ L

I think you are right on many counts. I think my nutritionist recommended that way because many people won't even attemp the full diet. I don't regret doing it this way because we have seen huge improvements in him this week and have really narrowed down to 3 things which bother him, which was also part of the idea.

It took 2 hours to get him to eat two carrot sticks today but he did do it and I had already decided there would be no nuts today. I was especially hesitant to do the intro because I was a vegetarian for 9 years and many things are still difficult for me , including animal fat and bones.

I did get the SCD diet book today and it sounds promising for us and I think may be the way to go for us.

I really appreciate the info you all have given.

I think you are right on many counts. I think my nutritionist recommended that way because many people won't even attemp the full diet. I don't regret doing it this way because we have seen huge improvements in him this week and have really narrowed down to 3 things which bother him, which was also part of the idea.

It took 2 hours to get him to eat two carrot sticks today but he did do it and I had already decided there would be no nuts today. I was especially hesitant to do the intro because I was a vegetarian for 9 years and many things are still difficult for me , including animal fat and bones.

I did get the SCD diet book today and it sounds promising for us and I think may be the way to go for us.

I really appreciate the info you all have given.

Roanna~ :grouphug: You are doing a great job! You just have to keep plugging away. I am so happy that you are seeing results. If you even need any info or just want to chat, pm me!

(We used to be a veg family too... I still have to screw up my courage every time I touch a chicken! It's worth it, though, as we are so much healthier now than we were then.)