Menu

Has anyone ever purchased Ikea wood flooring? Did you install it yourself?

My dd wants a wood floor in her bedroom. We are trying to keep the price as low as possible so she can also buy new furniture and accessories. Has anyone tried flooring from Ikea? How is the quality? Did you install it yourself? Was it fairly easy?

TIA!

I haven't looked at the Ikea wood flooring, but my DH installed wood flooring in our kitchen/hall/foyer and in our basement. The flooring in our kitchen is through and through hardwood. It was unfinished and we sanded and stained it also. We had to do the subfloor and all that stuff. (I honestly don't recall all the steps). And we used an air nailer. It was slow going, but it is 11 years old and still looks great.

Our basement is a pergo type. We still had to do the subfloor and a vapor barrier (because it's in the basement). It went in a little easier,not sure if that is because we've already done one or because it is easier. It is not holding up as well. It's been in 2 years, and some of the finish is wearing off. It does get a lot of wear, but so does the kitchen....

Also, in the kitchen, our refrigerator started leaking (ice maker tube disconnected) THe floor bowed, but after a month or so, once it got all dried out, it's fine. I do not think laminate flooring would do so well.

We LOVE wood flooring, but we will only use the true wood from now on. It can be bought finished, and that is probably what we will use. It wasn't a problem for us to finish it when we didn't have kids, but now....It just wouldn't work well.

Installation is not real difficult. The biggest thing is making sure all of the layers are in place. And making sure you scatter the seams. You also want to have the planks go perpendicular to the floor beams, NOT parallel.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head, with a 3 yr old on my lap. HTH!

from Costco. I'm not sure what price you are getting the IKEA stuff for, but the Harmonics is on sale for around $30 per box w/ coupon. It was pretty easy to install (no glue, just click). I think installing it in a bedroom would be easy. The Harmonics stuff has a foam underlayment built in. A contractor friend of mine said the laminate didn't sound like you were walking on plastic - that it had a more wood-like sound that past generations of the stuff. I'd have to agree.

Good luck.

K

We bought flooring from Ikea, but have not installed it yet. It will go in dd11's new room once it is finished (if it EVER gets done!). Anyway, in order to get it really cheap, we would go to the "scratch and dent" or "as is" section in Ikea and look for opened boxes of flooring (basically returns) and buy that. We got about 3 boxes for $10 a box! Best time to go is on a Tuesday b/c there are plenty returns from the weekends purchases and by Tuesday they'll be out in the "as is" section. I don't know if Ikea still has this section, but it's worth a look! Friends of ours did install laminate themselves and were amateurs. They said it wasn't that hard. Ikea does have good instructions.

• 1 year later...
Hi LadyNancy...I haven't personally used Ikea wood flooring so far, but I thought I should share a really useful video on how to install wooden flooring when dealing with a concrete subfloor http://www.youtube.com/user/Theflooring also, you will find a diversity of flooring options to choose from. Hope this helps :)

There is no video there. Is this, perhaps, your site?

My original post was quite a while ago, but we did ended up installing the Ikea laminate flooring in my dd's room and it is perfect and beautiful. It was much, much cheaper than any other store we looked at. At some point I will put it in our other bedrooms also.

• 1 month later...

We used Costco flooring for my ds' room. He has allergies, including dust mites, and it was just better for him if we ripped out the carpet and put in hardwood.

My dh and FIL installed it one Saturday. They didn't have any problems and it's held up great!