Menu

math manipulatives??

SweetMissMagnolia

What math manipulatives have you found most helpful? at the moment,I really don't have many--we have a handheld math drill game,poker chips,the CHIPS game,a write on/wipe off clock,and an abacus. I am thinking I'd like to add more to make math more fun....any ideas? my ds is 9 and doing "3rd grade" work....

Edited by SweetMissMagnolia

We've played a card game like war. You each have half of the deck and turn over two cards. If working on multiplication the two cards are mutiplied and dc has to give the product of both pairs of cards decide who wins.

We like Math U See blocks which are good for working with negative numbers (flip them over) as well as fractions.

Right now, DS1 is finding a bunch of online games he likes a lot...far more than manipulatives. We like TimezAttack on the PC....and Rocket Math on the iPad. We play lots of games.... Yahtzee, Sum Swamp, various games from the Right Start games, etc. I let my younger daughter use the abacus when we play Sum Swamp, so that she can play along.

I expect to use the GeoBoard more next year.

my best tool for 3rd grade math is the white board.

but beyond that we use number cards (6 sets of 0-10, or alter a regular face card deck to make something be zeros) a lot. Also those transparent token/counter discs - I write on them with wet-erase pens or use them blank for various things. The abacus is great if he knows how to use it.