Menu

Hearing loss due to cold???

My six year old had a low grade fever, cough, runny nose, etc. for two days last week. The second night she cried and said her ear hurt but she was not running a fever at the time. I gave her some Tylenol and a hot water pad to lay her head on. The next day she was perfectly fine. Today I've realized that she can't hear very good. She's a shy child and very nervous to speak up for herself so it took me a while to figure out that she just wasn't ignoring us, she really can't hear us very well. She told me that she had a roaring sound in her ears. She's not in pain nor is she running a fever. Is this normal after having a cold? We've never had to deal with ear infections before. I plan to call the doc about it on Monday and have her checked out.

About 3-4 weeks ago our family came down with the plague. Everyone, especially me complained of hearing problems after the colds past. I actually lost hearing in my right ear completely for about 2 days. I was really concerned because I have hearing loss on my side of the family. My doctor checked us out and said we weren't having ear infections but it was normal for the inner ear or ear canal to swell during a cold and one would experience pressure build up. It started off feeling like my ears were stuffed up, like when you are on a plane. I took ibuprofen and it brought me some relief. I would still have your little one checked out though.

She might have a middle ear infection. My son had recurrent infections when he was younger pretty much every time he got a cold. If she starts leaking fluid out of her ear then she has probably burst an ear drum. :( I would probably take her to the Dr's to get her ears checked because she may need some antibiotics. Middle ear infections can be with or without pain and do cause hearing difficulties.

I was once told by a Dr. that having fluid in the ear can sort of slightly bulge the ear drum, causing the sound to be reflected or not vibrate right or something along those lines. Not sure how true this is but I have found that every time I have a head cold, I have hearing problems. My hearing is usually right about a week later.