Menu

Waldorf curriculum?

freeindeed

Apart from the simple fact that they both involve children playing with wooden figures, Godly Play isn't related to Waldorf. It's an offshoot of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, which was developed in Italy in the 1950's as Montessori style religious education. CGS teachers are supposed to make their own materials as part of their training (thus the figures tend to look rustic), and there are specific reasons for their characteristics, e.g.:

faceless 2D figures for the parables

3D figures with faces for the historical bible stories

CGS was originally developed in a Catholic context, but is now widely used in other liturgical churches (e.g. Episcopal). It's challenging to implement it as designed, as it requires a trained instructor, a large dedicated space, and a sequence of lessons that build on each other. Jerome Berryman developed Godly Play as a simplified, Protestant version of CGS for use in places such as hospitals.

I find it amazing that the blogger doesn't seem to be aware of this history. It's as if every activity involving wood, wool, wax, felt, or imagination is somehow "Waldorf." :confused: But not so long ago in history, those were all just ordinary aspects of "childhood."

I agree with you.

"Anthroposophy" per se is not taught. The children do not take anthroposophy class nor go to religious services. But every aspect of the way things are done is done because that is what the anthroposophical view says to do. Academics are delayed because of anthroposophical outlook. Colors for the rooms are chosen because of anthroposophy. Shapes made in clay molding are for anthroposophical reasons. The order that the curriculum is presented fits an anthroposophical world view.

I would liken it to the movie Karate Kid where the older man played by Pat Morita teaches the boy to do karate without initially making it clear that that is what he is doing. But "Paint the Fence" is done in a way that it teaches one type of karate move. "Wax on. Wax off." That is another set of motions that will prepare the boy for karate. The boy in Karate Kid did want to learn karate, so that end goal was a good one for him. Whether OP is looking for education for her(?) child(ren) that will fit with developing the child(ren) for anthroposophical spiritual aims would be up to her. I think alerting OP to that aspect is important. I do think it is possible to take some of the treasures of Waldorf, such as the art and beauty and nature aspects, and leave what doesn't work for one's own family in a hs context. But it takes some work. It might take some vigilance on the parent's part. It might even take some deep study of anthoposophy to really know what that is before deciding what one wants to take or leave.

This makes things more clear to me. I really like a lot of what Waldorf has to offer, especially for my special needs daughter. I am willing to take what I like and leave out anything I'm not comfortable with. Also, I don't mind researching anthroposophy to decide what I'll leave out. The thing that draws me to Waldorf for this particular child is the art & beauty and the natural learning. I don't believe she would ever flourish with the curriculum I use with my older children.

I've had Donna's (Christopherus) Kindy book for a few years now--and I've used it on three kids. I honestly think that for the price, it's worth the buy regardless if it ends up being your "curriculum" or not. There is so much in there that is so valuable. It's not a set curriculum. She's not going to tell you... week one... read this story, make this craft, do this finger play, etc. It's basically a giant resource book (or at least my version is) of different ideas, stories, etc. I think even if you end up with another program, you'll still benefit from having read it.

I've been an Enki lurker for years... LOL. I had a chance to buy a used copy (illegal according to Enki laws)....but didn't move on it fast enough. If the price is an issue, one thing I remember hearing from people is that they usually felt that had enough material for 2 years in the Kindy package. You really need to sort through it and decide what you want to use.

Little Acorn Learning has some samples on her website... I think there's a Fall sample as well as a Spring one. Eileen also runs an in-home kindy as well. Her facebook page is excellent.

I ended up with a hodge podge Kindy. Definitely not uniquely Waldorf--but Waldorf inspired. I bought Donna's Kindy book, as well as the form drawing (because I was curious) one. I used a lot of the Sonlight and Ambleside booklists for ideas on books. I used Donna's book for stories, routines, and craft ideas. I also bought RightStart Math A--because I love math and HWT Kindy. Kindy at our house is so gentle--and it's worked well for three kids so far. We read lots of books. We do math almost in blocks...when the mood strikes... and then another period of time we might focus on science or whatever. Lots of time for drawing, painting, baking, playing.

I'd love to lazure my entire house--but that's unlikely to happen. :)

One thing that I read about in a gazillion Waldorf books, but just recently started doing was using a candle as part of our bedtime routine. All of my kids (even the 8-1/2 year old) love it. We take turns on who gets to blow it out after story time. It really adds a nice feeling to our nights.

I've had Donna's (Christopherus) Kindy book for a few years now--and I've used it on three kids. I honestly think that for the price, it's worth the buy regardless if it ends up being your "curriculum" or not. There is so much in there that is so valuable. It's not a set curriculum. She's not going to tell you... week one... read this story, make this craft, do this finger play, etc. It's basically a giant resource book (or at least my version is) of different ideas, stories, etc. I think even if you end up with another program, you'll still benefit from having read it.

I've been an Enki lurker for years... LOL. I had a chance to buy a used copy (illegal according to Enki laws)....but didn't move on it fast enough. If the price is an issue, one thing I remember hearing from people is that they usually felt that had enough material for 2 years in the Kindy package. You really need to sort through it and decide what you want to use.

Little Acorn Learning has some samples on her website... I think there's a Fall sample as well as a Spring one. Eileen also runs an in-home kindy as well. Her facebook page is excellent.

I ended up with a hodge podge Kindy. Definitely not uniquely Waldorf--but Waldorf inspired. I bought Donna's Kindy book, as well as the form drawing (because I was curious) one. I used a lot of the Sonlight and Ambleside booklists for ideas on books. I used Donna's book for stories, routines, and craft ideas. I also bought RightStart Math A--because I love math and HWT Kindy. Kindy at our house is so gentle--and it's worked well for three kids so far. We read lots of books. We do math almost in blocks...when the mood strikes... and then another period of time we might focus on science or whatever. Lots of time for drawing, painting, baking, playing.

One thing that I read about in a gazillion Waldorf books, but just recently started doing was using a candle as part of our bedtime routine. All of my kids (even the 8-1/2 year old) love it. We take turns on who gets to blow it out after story time. It really adds a nice feeling to our nights.

I'm thinking my little one's kindy is going to be very similar to yours. I'm drawn to some aspects of Waldorf, but will not be total Waldorf. We already do a light "Letter of the Week," so I plan to continue with that, too. We do some Montessori inspired activities and some Charlotte Mason style learning as well. I have to present things to my little one in several different ways and then review, review, review...but all in a natural and fun way...a little at a time.:)

Apart from the simple fact that they both involve children playing with wooden figures, Godly Play isn't related to Waldorf. It's an offshoot of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, which was developed in Italy in the 1950's as Montessori style religious education. CGS teachers are supposed to make their own materials as part of their training (thus the figures tend to look rustic), and there are specific reasons for their characteristics, e.g.:

faceless 2D figures for the parables

3D figures with faces for the historical bible stories

CGS was originally developed in a Catholic context, but is now widely used in other liturgical churches (e.g. Episcopal). It's challenging to implement it as designed, as it requires a trained instructor, a large dedicated space, and a sequence of lessons that build on each other. Jerome Berryman developed Godly Play as a simplified, Protestant version of CGS for use in places such as hospitals.

I find it amazing that the blogger doesn't seem to be aware of this history. It's as if every activity involving wood, wool, wax, felt, or imagination is somehow "Waldorf." :confused: But not so long ago in history, those were all just ordinary aspects of "childhood."

I don't think the blogger is unaware of anything. I think she is just using the vocabulary that people are using, rather than getting caught up in the "truth". Today we label a lot of curriculum--and other things--as "Amish" that were standard in years past. I tend to use "Waldorf" and "CM" very loosely and I think a lot of others do to, and...I think it's okay to do that.

I don't think the blogger is unaware of anything. I think she is just using the vocabulary that people are using, rather than getting caught up in the "truth".

There are several references to Berryman as the one who "created" the program, but no mention of Sofia Cavalletti and other members of the worldwide CGS community. It's a striking omission, given all the time that's spent discussing Godly Play. Other blogs, like this one, tend to mention both.

I'm wondering why you put the word "truth" in quotation marks. Surely we're all interested in finding out about the various educational options out there, and their historical roots, philosophies, and goals.

Today we label a lot of curriculum--and other things--as "Amish" that were standard in years past. I tend to use "Waldorf" and "CM" very loosely and I think a lot of others do to, and...I think it's okay to do that.

I've never seen curriculum labeled as Amish unless it was actually developed by Amish for Amish, e.g. Rod & Staff. Maybe we're spending time in different circles. (Horses and buggies, yes. :))

As for the general issue of taking old terms and adapting them... it depends on what the associations are. Mussolini made a lot of educational reforms in Italy. If I use some aspects of the Italian model of that era (leaving out the bits about allegiance to the state, etc.), can I say that I'm giving my children some elements of Fascist education?

To me, it's the same. Only even more so, because there's still a large community of schools and homeschoolers in our own day who are using "Waldorf education" in its original meaning. Waldorf education = Steiner education = Anthroposophic Education. This is how the terms are used by the people who created it, and who take it seriously. ("Waldorf" was just the name of the first place where Steiner set up a school.)

Maybe in a few hundred years, if Anthroposophy and Waldorf schools have vanished from the earth, it might be reasonable to put the term to a different use. But at this point, I don't think it does anyone any favors.

For those who are feeling a bit discouraged, but want to add some hands on play to some lessons, scholastic has a $1.00 ebook http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/dollardeals/early-learning-with-puppets-props-poems-songs

It certainly is NOT Waldorf :-) But, for the artistically minded mom, it might inspire her to draw, felt, knit, carve etc. And for the totally discouraged mom, you can print and play and learn, and...kind of get a feel for how to maybe move closer to Waldorf. Training wheels kind of.

I find the number poems and props inspiring. And some of the items meant for other uses, turn right into a math story for me, especially those with multiple pieces. Right off, I like the 4 ant poem, and the 5 stockings, and the cookie jar and cookies.

Freeindeed, I sent another PM to you. I don't know if it went at all, or once, or twice??? Has to do with special needs and race and religion in terms of picking and choosing--things to perhaps be especially careful about.

I agree with much in what is quoted above, though exactly what things we came to are different. I also love lazure :001_smile:.

I didn't have the Christopherus K book, but from others I do have, would guess that it would be as described and helpful.

The "very Waldorf art" (and I've studied some) tends to be especially soothing and healing (for many special needs), and for that I'd suggest a very traditional Waldorf source like Live-Ed (not something merely Waldorfy or Waldorf inspired)--even if one wants to avoid some of its aspects that could be a bad fit for one's own child or family. We need to have a source for the art that is wonderful, but does not require buying a whole curriculum. Hmmm. I have an idea on that, but nothing that would be instantly available.

If no one else has mentioned it, there is a free group on Yahoo called Waldorf Home Educators group run by Marsha Johnson that may help you a lot also. It has many of the sorts of things you might find in Christopherus in its files and or archives.

Freeindeed, I sent another PM to you. I don't know if it went at all, or once, or twice??? Has to do with special needs and race and religion in terms of picking and choosing--things to perhaps be especially careful about.

I agree with much in what is quoted above, though exactly what things we came to are different. I also love lazure :001_smile:.

I didn't have the Christopherus K book, but from others I do have, would guess that it would be as described and helpful.

The "very Waldorf art" (and I've studied some) tends to be especially soothing and healing (for many special needs), and for that I'd suggest a very traditional Waldorf source like Live-Ed (not something merely Waldorfy or Waldorf inspired)--even if one wants to avoid some of its aspects that could be a bad fit for one's own child or family. We need to have a source for the art that is wonderful, but does not require buying a whole curriculum. Hmmm. I have an idea on that, but nothing that would be instantly available.

If no one else has mentioned it, there is a free group on Yahoo called Waldorf Home Educators group run by Marsha Johnson that may help you a lot also. It has many of the sorts of things you might find in Christopherus in its files and or archives.

Thank you. I got your PM last night & wrote a pretty long response, but then my internet starting acting crazy.:glare:

I will definitely leave out the aspects you mentioned, as I don't want my daughter to feel inferior in any way. I've been taking a close look at Christopherus today. It looks really nice. Ahh....decisions, decisions....

OK, I've got this narrowed down to two choices now: Oak Meadow or A Little Garden Flower. I'm looking at the preschool and kindergarten years. So, can you all help me make this decision?

What are the pros and cons of each?

Why do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks!:)

OK, I've got this narrowed down to two choices now: Oak Meadow or A Little Garden Flower. I'm looking at the preschool and kindergarten years. So, can you all help me make this decision?

Those are two very different programs. ALGF seems to be more hardcore Waldorf and aimed as more a life philosophy (parenting, etc), while OM is more Waldorf-inspired, anthroposophy-less, and just a curriculum. I think it just depends on what you want.

So, no help here, but a bit of a bump. :)

No personal experience with the two. Maybe to start with ALGF early years program, since it appears geared to be perhaps helpful to a mom trying to learn about Waldorf, set up balance in her own life as a base, etc.-----and then the following year (when dd is about 5) go to OM's, K program so as to get some academics started. ????

I'd be afraid to use OM with a disabled student. The authors admit to prioritizing writing to please a 1980s style public school board. OM seems geared towards prioritizing towards selective college preparation, rather than prioritizing towards the realities of child development, that is the core of Waldorf philosophy.

A Little Flower Garden's author has an autistic son, so she has BTDT in homeschooling a disabled child.

If you are looking at just those 2, I'd try ALFG.

I'd be afraid to use OM with a disabled student. The authors admit to prioritizing writing to please a 1980s style public school board. OM seems geared towards prioritizing towards selective college preparation, rather than prioritizing towards the realities of child development, that is the core of Waldorf philosophy.

A Little Flower Garden's author has an autistic son, so she has BTDT in homeschooling a disabled child.

If you are looking at just those 2, I'd try ALFG.

Thank you for this input. The auther of ALGF actually sent me an e-mail in response to my questions about using the program with a special needs child and told me about her son. She seems very nice and helpful, and I really appreciate her personal experience and her willingness to share. It is definitely one reason why ALGF is one of my favorites.:)

I'd go with ALGF, but I am a Steiner purist, so I've got a thumping great bias! Oak Meadow will lead beautifully into a classical education (in my not so humble opinion, OM is far more classical than it is Waldorf), and it does push early literacy and numeracy. Hunter's point is a very valid one.

I'm going to make another strong recommendation for Rahima Baldwin Dancy's book, You are your child's first teacher. Its aimed at birth-6years and will give you loads of info about home rhythms etc. Waldorf really is a lifestyle, not just a curriculum. My step-daughter has my copy, otherwise I'd list the chapters for you.

I have a lot of time for Melissa Neilson. She is very open and honest about her family's journey, and very encouraging. Her fourth grade book contains the best discussion of parenting post-divorce I have ever seen (both her ex-husband and her husband have written about their experiences). Her curriculum is very gentle, and written to homeschoolers. Its also dirt cheap, which means you can spend money on beeswax, paint and crayons without feeling ill. She's got quite a few you-tube clips (the one on planning is great). What this curriculum has over fully prepared curricula is that you have to put YOU into it because Melissa doesn't do all the work. While this can be daunting, it actually means your son will get what is most important: you as the teacher, not a dry lesson from someone who has never clapped eyes on him.

D

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking into this now, and have found this very helpful.

I am more drawn to a classical education with an artsy bend, rather than an anthroposophical education. And I think OM is a good fit for me.

I am curious about those who have used the OM curriculum for kindy. How structured it is regarding activities/stories? At what age did you start using it? Has anyone used the online version and not the hard copies? How did that work for you?

Sorry to highjack the thread. I can start my own thread if that is more appropriate.

I have always been under the impression that this forum is very lax about protecting OP rights and hijacking, and far more interested in the most efficient way to pass along information.

Adding more discussion to an already started thread is efficient, in my opinion :-0

But at some forums, that are ultra concerned with hijacking, I get into a LOT of trouble :-( So...maybe you shouldn't listen to me :-)

I am more drawn to a classical education with an artsy bend, rather than an anthroposophical education. And I think OM is a good fit for me.

I am curious about those who have used the OM curriculum for kindy. How structured it is regarding activities/stories? At what age did you start using it? Has anyone used the online version and not the hard copies? How did that work for you?

We used Oak Meadow kindergarten for preschool. I don't remember lots of details--sorry! I've done a mix of Waldorf, CM and WTM in varying amounts from the beginning. (I'm a non-purist ;). We only do the tiniest smidgen of Waldorf now.)

I was happy with Oak Meadow. We used the print version that included the Beatrix Potter stories.

I remember the introduction to the alphabet was artistic, flowing, and ethereal. I can still picture my dd's artwork in my mind.

That was a special year. Of course, I guess they all are. :001_smile:

I am looking into this now, and have found this very helpful.

Sorry to highjack the thread. I can start my own thread if that is more appropriate.

:)I'm the OP. You can hijack away! I was going to pop back into this thread anyway to say that I went ahead & ordered the complete Oak Meadow Preschool set last week. My dd4 has developmental delays, so we will be using this for at least two years. After that, my hope is that she'll be ready to move to Oak Meadow K. I had a hard time deciding between A Little Garden Flower and Oak Meadow, but in the end I decided to go with the first Waldorf style curriculum that caught my eye. Since my package hasn't arrived yet, I can't really tell you much about it. But when it arrives, I will let you know what I think.

:)I'm the OP. You can hijack away! I was going to pop back into this thread anyway to say that I went ahead & ordered the complete Oak Meadow Preschool set last week. My dd4 has developmental delays, so we will be using this for at least two years. After that, my hope is that she'll be ready to move to Oak Meadow K. I had a hard time deciding between A Little Garden Flower and Oak Meadow, but in the end I decided to go with the first Waldorf style curriculum that caught my eye. Since my package hasn't arrived yet, I can't really tell you much about it. But when it arrives, I will let you know what I think.

You may be ready for K sooner than you think. I am now starting K with my almost 6 year old and he is WAY ahead of what they want. It is a gentle start but not at all light in terms of where they get to in later years. I just bought grade 5 for older DD who is in 6th and it is fine for her. Younger DD is in 2nd and while she could handle MORE the reason I bought 5 grade levels mid year was to ease the pace and relax and enjoy my kids and their education.

Melissa Neilson IMHO is the cheapest waldorf curriculum but it's also excellent. It is very similar to christopherus but at much lower price. My personal favorite curriculum is Enki they combine Montessori(individually driven and independent learning) and Waldorf. I like them because there is so much support they teach you how to teach. The dvds show them actually teaching and it is was so helpful to me. I also think you have EVERYTHING that you need. You will not have to buy anything extra like I felt I had to do with the other curriculums. I've homeschooled 5 children and seen a lot of curriculum over the years and this one is by far my favorite.

Yay for being able to thread hijack :D

I have read the teacher guides for Enki, and identified with most of it. I was put off by the assumption that mothers would be homeschooling and something about motherly love and attention being qualitatively different from fatherly love and attention (or something like that).

Anyway, while I will be doing most of the schooling as we start to get into curriculum, I am a bit sensitive about ideas of women being more nurturing than men. This is just my baggage though.

Primarily, I am put off as Enki is so expensive! And I require international shipping.

I really did like the attention to the parent/educator taking care of her(his) needs too. And I have since read that Beth is Buddhist - which I find even more appealing.

Gah! DS was only 4 in Feb, and is language delayed. So I am not in a huge rush to start a curriculum just yet. More just looking at my options for Sept, or maybe next year. And getting my head around my options.

I am pretty sure I am going to go with Right Start for maths. Whatever I do, I am going to have to supplement in our local language. Stories and the alphabet.