Menu

Any last minute neuropsych advice?

After a 5 month wait, our neuropsych appointment is finally here! :hurray:

Thanks to you ladies, I have a great list of questions and I have prepped my child that he should comply and try everything even if it is difficult, and that the testers may seem unfriendly or neutral but that this doesn't mean they don't like him or are mean.

I have also been told to bring his favorite snacks.

Anything else I should know or do for a young child undergoing a neuropsych eval this week?

Anything you wish you had been told or done differently?

Make sure he gets plenty of sleep the night before and a good high protein breakfast in the morning. Take along a water bottle as well as he might get thirsty.

For you, bring along some reading material, etc. to fill your time after you likely will fill out a bazillion forms and questionaires.

I thought we'd do fun things after each day of testing, just to enjoy the change of pace, but she was VERY tired. Ditto the hearty breakfast thing. I didn't have to stay, so out went out for a late breakfast while she had the testing. Made it nice for me, except that the car battery died. But we won't talk about that. :)

You'll be fine. I didn't really find out ANYTHING, not a bit, until the day we got the results. That meant I had another month after the testing to figure out all my questions. The other ladies were spot on when they said to write everything out. I had 4 pages with large spaces between the questions to write the answers. I basically went through everything functional, every single subject, everything. Not every np gives you so much time. You may get his jist and a write-up. Ours gave us about an hour and a half where I just asked about every subject, teaching methods, etc. That was the appointment that really made me sick to my stomach with nervousness, not the testing.

You'll be ok. I felt a lot better about it afterward than I did in the moment.

Oh Elizabeth and to anyone else who can help me here...

DS is in the middle of NP testing. He's 11. He's handling it well. We were supposed to have 7 hours of testing (2hrs, 2 hrs, 2 hrs, and 1 hour), we are only going once a week. Last week I was told he more than likely will not need that 7th hour. I'll have a 3 week break before we go back for our final meeting to discuss results. I'm putting together a list of questions now.

Does anyone remember their list of questions? :001_smile: I'm actually putting all of my Qs into a word doc to take with me.

If you're going where I think you are (I could have you confused with another poster), you won't get to any reading material you bring for yourself ;). I brought knitting, and never had a chance to pick it up either if the two days we were there. You will get a lot of information while you are there. The food is the main thing I should have known and didn't (snacks).

I hope it turns out to be hugely helpful to you!

Yup, that's me. Thanks, this is good to know. Is there typically a follow up later or are the 2 days usually it?

Oh Elizabeth and to anyone else who can help me here...

DS is in the middle of NP testing. He's 11. He's handling it well. We were supposed to have 7 hours of testing (2hrs, 2 hrs, 2 hrs, and 1 hour), we are only going once a week. Last week I was told he more than likely will not need that 7th hour. I'll have a 3 week break before we go back for our final meeting to discuss results. I'm putting together a list of questions now.

Does anyone remember their list of questions? :001_smile: I'm actually putting all of my Qs into a word doc to take with me.

I started with all the things that had been bugging me and put them with double spaces on the paper to make sure I had definitely gotten answers on those. I looked back at my original discussion page to find those points. That hit on anything and everything but was mainly living stuff.

Then I went through every single academic subject and thought about all my options and formulated my questions. That way I was able to explain my spectrum of options (textbook, interest-driven, hands-on, etc.) for that subject and ask him how I should go for that subject with her. Rinse, repeat. Mine had the patience of Job I think, lol.

Then I had questions about future things like how to handle high school, college, etc.

Just so you know, my husband went along. He was of course not interested in most of that, so we let him go first with his questions. It worked out well that way.

Whatever you do will be fine. I just found the advice to get it all written out very helpful. :)