Menu

Got great news after pleading ds's case in front of the school board

In my state, each school district has the authority to decide whether to allow homeschoolers to partially enroll in the public school in order to participate in after-school activities. The school also offers its students the option of independent study, although it is rarely utilized.

My son took physics last and played on the tennis team. After trying for months now to utilize the school's independent study option so he could play again this year (and getting rejected), I finally decided to plead my case at a board meeting.

I received a call this week that my son's physics teacher from last year has volunteered to sponsor my son next year in organic chemistry. I am beyond thrilled! He won't be doing labs in our basement, and he'll get to play on the tennis team.

I have a meeting in May to get the details ironed out. His physics teacher is giving up his planning period next year to work with my son, and I am thinking that I should bring him a gift of some sort, but I have no idea what is appropriate. Do any of you have any suggestions?