Menu

Can I freeze an unfrosted cake?

Dh's birthday falls in the middle of a busy week. He always has homemade carrot cake. Always. :tongue_smilie: It is quite a production to make.

Can I make it this weekend and freeze the layers? Would I take it out a day early to thaw before frosting? Will it be gummy and impossible to frost?

My dh thanks you in advance- this cake is one of the highlights of his year, so I'd hate to botch it. :lol:

Dh's birthday falls in the middle of a busy week. He always has homemade carrot cake. Always. :tongue_smilie: It is quite a production to make.

Can I make it this weekend and freeze the layers? Would I take it out a day early to thaw before frosting? Will it be gummy and impossible to frost?

My dh thanks you in advance- this cake is one of the highlights of his year, so I'd hate to botch it. :lol:

Absolutely. I used to work for a caterer doing wedding cakes.

Wrap a flat piece of cardboard in plastic wrap. Pop the slightly cooled cake layers out onto boards. Wrap cake layer and board in more wrap while still warm. Make sure it is well sealed.

Each layer wrapped individually and not crushed in freezer.

Pull out and frost while the cake layers are still frozen.

It will be yummy and easier to decorate. We used to freeze the layers even if we needed the cake for the same day.

Thanks everyone! Frosting a frozen cake sounds easier than frosting a thawed one. I may try that. I love the thought of doing the bulk of the work on Saturday.

I also like Julie's idea of freezing the whole thing ready to serve. If I try that, how soon would I take out a double layer round cake to thaw?

Thanks everyone! Frosting a frozen cake sounds easier than frosting a thawed one. I may try that. I love the thought of doing the bulk of the work on Saturday.

I also like Julie's idea of freezing the whole thing ready to serve. If I try that, how soon would I take out a double layer round cake to thaw?

I'd take the cake out of the freezer on the morning of the day I planned to serve it, as long as you don't need it before lunchtime/afternoon.

Absolutely. I used to work for a caterer doing wedding cakes.

:iagree:

Our church family does a lot of individual contributions to the church weddings.

The latest wedding-cake improvement is to freeze the layers separately, on cardboard bases, with a thin layer of frosting on each.

They take it out of the freezer the day before and decorate it at the church while still frozen. That way it thaws AND stays cool until the reception the next day.

Enjoy doing all that carrot shredding tomorrow! :001_smile:

Enjoy doing all that carrot shredding tomorrow! :001_smile:

It's not the shredding that gets to me. It is cleaning the food processor, and the carrot stains that appear all over every surface. :tongue_smilie: The two young kitchen helpers who need to help make Daddy's cake seem to double the time and energy required. ;)

Thanks for all of the tips above. We made the cake today, frosted it, and froze it on the serving plate. It is a relief to have it done. Now I need to plan a dinner menu. :001_smile: