Menu

Advice Needed for First Grade Curriculum

Cali

I am a new homeschooling mom and I was wondering what some thoughts are on the following curriculum I have picked out using WTM as a foundation for my current first grader - my thought was to start working with her now (after her regular school) and throughout the summer to make sure she is on the WTM grade level two in the Fall and to fill in any empty space in her foundation:

Spelling - Spelling Workout A and then moving to workout B

Grammer - First Language Lessons Level 1

Writing - Writing with Ease Level 1

Reading - Ordinary Guide to teaching Reading

Handwriting - Zaner Bloser Handwriting Serices Grade 2C

History - Ancient Times Vol one of Story of the World and Activity Book as well as using the Usborn Internet Linked Ency. of World

Thanks for your input

Cali

Spelling Workout isn't particularly popular. A lot of kids don't retain the information well. All About Spelling is probably the most popular program and is extremely thorough, though Apples & Pears and Webster's Speller are also excellent.

I would probably skip FLL 1 and go directly to FLL 2 in the Fall. It covers the same material with less repetition, and you won't feel so behind if you don't finish it "on time".

The rest looks good.

Spelling - Spelling Workout A and then moving to workout B

Grammar - First Language Lessons Level 1

Writing - Writing with Ease Level 1

Reading - Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Handwriting - Zaner-Bloser Handwriting Series Grade 2C

History - Ancient Times Vol 1 of Story of the World and Activity Book as well as using the Usborne Internet Linked Ency. of World

Thanks for your input

Cali

I think your plan looks great! :D Here's what I might do if I were in your shoes:

Spelling -- All About Spelling, Level 1 (may go quickly) & possibly Level 2

Grammar -- First Language Lessons, Level 2; grammar lessons only*

Writing -- Writing with Ease, Level 1

Reading -- Ordinary Parent's Guide

Handwriting -- ZB Cursive 2

History -- DK Children's Illustrated Bible and/or Egermeier's Bible Story Book

* If you do WWE, you don't need to do copywork or narration from FFL. If you do AAS, you won't need to do dictation from FLL. The only parts remaining are grammar and memory work. To cover only the grammar of FLL, you could go through the TOC and list the lessons that deal with grammar concepts. You'll be able to fly through more than one lesson at a time.

We use sonlight, which was a lifesaver for us as new homeschoolers. It has the lesson plans and everything laid out. You can check out their website. I second Explode the Code as a good thing to do, and I noticed you didn't have math listed. There are a lot of good curriculums out there. It will depend on your child's way of learning and how you want to do that. We have had to switch math programs from the spiral, notebook (horizons) to Math u see, which is video and manipulative based. There are a lot of yahoo groups and websites that can answer your questions as well.

We're using Spelling Workout with our 1st grader. He finished level A yesterday. We also use WWE1 and FLL...we've moved onto grade 2 now. I am very happy with the foundation these are laying...I can see the future benefits they will reap. I did not have these with my olders because they were in ps at this age and though they are very bright, some of the missing building blocks are frustrating!

Brownie

We have used Spelling Workout since we started homeschooling. We like it. I are now in G and E. I have found they spell better than I do. :lol:

Your schedule looks a lot like ours did then. I think you did a good job. Enjoy it!

Marsha

One of my kids likes SWO. ;) I like anything that gets them reading directions on their own and writing.

Your schedule looks fine!