Menu

Mystery of History Vol. I editions

Snoopytwo

What are the differences between the 1st and 2nd editions of MOH I? I have a 1st edition that I bought when it first came out. Are the differences significant enough to warrant me purchasing the 2nd edition? Are the activities better in the 2nd edition? What about the booklist?

Thanks.

There are several additional lessons added to MOH in the edition change.

This newly released 2nd edition of The Mystery of History Volume 1 includes 144 pages of new material. While maintaining the same theme and format as the 1st edition, this new edition has improved lessons, more activities and teacher support, and improved layout, art and photos, simplified timelines, and more.

Of note, the cd contains pages to print for both the first and second edition.

BTW - I found an activity supply list.

• 2 weeks later...
But is it worth buying a whole new guide? I'm the type of person who can happily use a 10 year old Sonlight core.

If you liked it the first time around, I'd say go for it. If I still had my first edition, I would be using it. I sold it several years ago so my new edition is on its way :) However, I am excited about the reproducible CD. I find it such a pain to copy from books. I'm so glad the various authors are finally figuring this out, and providing CDs.

Blessings!

Dorinda

If you liked it the first time around, I'd say go for it. If I still had my first edition, I would be using it. I sold it several years ago so my new edition is on its way :) However, I am excited about the reproducible CD. I find it such a pain to copy from books. I'm so glad the various authors are finally figuring this out, and providing CDs.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thanks for the response. Very helpful!

The timeline is significantly different. Version 1 is an adapted secular timeline. Version 2 is based on the genealogies in the Bible. You can download the table of contents with the dates on it, for free at the website, and pencil in the timeline changes. That is what I did.

Some people may actually prefer the older edition and the more secular timeline. Using the 2nd edition timeline could be very confusing to a child using other secular resources.

I find it easier for my history and Bible studies to match and line up with the genealogies, so I prefer resources that use ultraconservative timelines. My feeling is that, children have the right to believe their holybooks and be brought t up in their culture, even if the CURRENT secular "experts" think it is "wrong".

Secular resources are not based on anything definite, so all contradict each other, and are in a constant state of flux. That gets old, even faster than maybe using a "wrong" timeline.