Menu

How teacher-intensive is MCT?

MyLittleBears

I know I would have to work WITH a 3rd grader but could a 5th grader concievably work on his own? I would want to start them on the same level since the levels apparently build on each other. Also, can you use just the grammar books or do all the books work together? Is there true diagramming in this program, as in putting the sentences on a skeleton?

Any advice is welcome.

Edited by MyLittleBears

MCT is teacher intensive. If you need something that can be done independently, I would suggest going with a different program.

There is not true diagramming until the later in the program. It is then only briefly discussed. Four level analysis is used throughout the program. We use Rex Barks for diagramming.

The books complement each other, but you can just use whatever parts of the program interest you.

I know I would have to work WITH a 3rd grader but could a 5th grader concievably work on his own? I would want to start them on the same level since the levels apparently build on each other. Also, can you use just the grammar books or do all the books work together? Is there true diagramming in this program, as in putting the sentences on a skeleton?

Any advice is welcome.

MCT is teacher intensive...I can't see a 5th grader (or any elementary grade, I am not sure of the high school levels) doing it independently...There is no true diagramming in the program...He uses 4 level analysis...

:iagree:with the previous posters: quite teacher intensive. However, that is part of the beauty of the program: sharing language arts as an experience together. I will say that I used it with my oldest last year (Island level) and "walked away" from it because it was teacher intensive. Well, guess what we're back to THIS year?! We're doing Town level this year because we both loved it and there is just nothing else like it out there, especially for very bright/gifted kids who love all things language arts.

If you need/want open & go and/or independent learning, I'd definitely go with something else.

: However, that is part of the beauty of the program: sharing language arts as an experience together. I will say that I used it with my oldest last year (Island level) and "walked away" from it because it was teacher intensive. Well, guess what we're back to THIS year?! We're doing Town level this year because we both loved it and there is just nothing else like it out there, especially for very bright/gifted kids who love all things language arts.

This is exactly what attracts me to the program. My older ds loves LA and this program seems so rich with it.

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but why don't you just use MCT with both children at once? I.e., group teach.

Thank you, this is definately what I would do. :001_smile: I don't necessarily need them to teach themselves, I just wonder if I'm putting too much on my plate. My older two are dyslexic so the spelling they need is, by nature, teacher intensive. We use a Spalding-spin off. LOE has it all planned out so that helps A LOT, but I still have to teach it. I plan to go back to just plain Spalding when we're done (for 3 kids on different levels). Next year my youngest will be in 1st so the real teacher streching begins.:confused: I will be actively teaching math, science, history, wwe(on 2 levels),FLL(also 2 levels), the youngest still need me for math. Perhaps I'm taking on more that I can chew, since what we are currently using is working.... But MCT looks so great. Arrhh...I should just stay off these boards!

Edited by MyLittleBears

Thank you, this is definately what I would do. :001_smile: I don't necessarily need them to teach themselves, I just wonder if I'm putting too much on my plate. My older two are dyslexic so the spelling they need is, by nature, teacher intensive. We use a Spalding-spin off. LOE has it all planned out so that helps a lot, but I still have to teach it. I plan to go back to plain Spalding when we're done (for 3 kids on different levels). Next year my youngest will be in 1st so the real teacher streching begins.:confused: I will be actively teaching math, science, history, wwe(on 2 levels),FLL(also 2 levels), the youngest still need me for math. Perhaps I'm taking on more that I can chew, since what we are currently using is working.... But MCT looks so great. Arrhh...I should just stay off these boards!

MCT seems to be good for my son who is presumptively quite dyslexic...it is helpful to find things that can be intellectually appealing, but not a problem for the dyslexia issues and MCT seems so far to be excellent in that way. We have already dropped FLL--in so far as it is not even theoretically being done, is not in my sig, etc. Although I have not officially dropped them, we have not actually done any Z-B grammar or WWE since the arrival of MCT--though it may just be the novelty in helping us through the Feb. blues.- In reality, MCT and IEW are now our primary lang. arts. materials--I'll have to catch my sig. up one of these days.

One more thing you might consider is going over MCT with both (or all) children together, then having the older one read it through a second time as you and younger(s) listen. Then have older do more of the Socratic answering and maybe even get into the socratic questioning, with 2nd grader doing some and Ker least.

Edited by Pen