Menu

If you are fluent in another language, ideally as a native language could you help?

Storm Bay

My dd is doing a poster for foreign languages week. The theme is "We're connected...now communicate." She's going to have people speaking in different languages. In each pair, one will say

"We're connected..." and the other will say "now communicate."

Naturally, there's no way I can go online and get a good translation to get the gist of what is being said. Could any of you give me a good translation in any language that you are fluent in? Ideally it would be great to have it in at least one or two other languages that don't use the same alphabet, so if that's the case, can you give me what I need to get it translated correctly online? Arabic and/or Asian languages, Greek & Russian are some of the other alphabet (or non alphabet ways of writing) eg's. Her original idea had 20 people with 10 pairs, but she can do fewer people.

From what I can see, there's a grammar error or a stylistic error, which makes the translation meaningless in French.

"we're connected" = first person plural, present indicative

"now communicate" = second person plural, imperative.

It would be better if it were "we're connected... let's communicate". That way, the speaker is included in the communicate part. Otherwise, the speaker is excluded. This would show very strongly in French.

"Nous sommes tous connectés... communiquons!"

Instead of

"Nous sommes tous connectés... communiquez!"

Edited by CleoQc

Spanish

Estamos connectados.......ahora ablemos. The latter literally translates to "now let's talk" If you tried to say now let's communicate it would sound a bit awkward.

Just wanted to point out the missing silent 'h'. It should be 'ahora hablemos.' :)

Elena

Thanks!!! I didn't think I would get the same literal phrases in all the languages and think that the "now communicate" part is a bit odd, although I do understand what they mean. Hopefully her Spanish teacher will appreciate the Spanish.

I know enough about other languages to know that you can't always do word for word, especially with idioms, etc.

Edited by Karin

"Connected" in what sense? As in, connected to/via internet? Connected in a "there is a (general) connection between us" sense?

Siamo collegati / connessi*, allora comunichiamo. (ITA)

Anachnu mechubarim / kshurim*, az bo/i/u** nedaber. (HEB)

* The first option is more in the internet sense, the second one is for a statement that there is a general connection between us

* Bo if you are talking to a guy, boi if you are talking to a girl, bou if you are talking to more people

Wir sind verbunden... Lass uns reden. (Let us talk)

My dd is doing a poster for foreign languages week. The theme is "We're connected...now communicate." She's going to have people speaking in different languages. In each pair, one will say

"We're connected..." and the other will say "now communicate."

Naturally, there's no way I can go online and get a good translation to get the gist of what is being said. Could any of you give me a good translation in any language that you are fluent in? Ideally it would be great to have it in at least one or two other languages that don't use the same alphabet, so if that's the case, can you give me what I need to get it translated correctly online? Arabic and/or Asian languages, Greek & Russian are some of the other alphabet (or non alphabet ways of writing) eg's. Her original idea had 20 people with 10 pairs, but she can do fewer people.

Thanks for all of the new ones, and in answer to the question below, I believe it's the second one, the general connection between us. As I said, you just can't always translate so easily!:D

"Connected" in what sense? As in, connected to/via internet? Connected in a "there is a (general) connection between us" sense?

Siamo collegati / connessi*, allora comunichiamo. (ITA)

Anachnu mechubarim / kshurim*, az bo/i/u** nedaber. (HEB)

* The first option is more in the internet sense, the second one is for a statement that there is a general connection between us

* Bo if you are talking to a guy, boi if you are talking to a girl, bou if you are talking to more people

Thanks everyone for all of your translations.:D My dd finished her poster yesterday & it looks great (of course, I am her mother;)). She worked on it over the past 2 weeks & hand drew 12 people from around the world, and then really had to think about who could speak each language. She ended up using the Russian one for a Muslim girl and a boy after I showed her that there are many Muslims in former USSR countries who do speak Russian.

eta She used 6 of these which once she was done was all she could fit; originally she thought she'd need 10, and there were 7 here, but we could have added English to get 8, bt she ran out of room. It was a hard decision, but since there are a lot of Portuguese speakers around here, she ended up not using that one, but I have it saved in case she wants it for something else.

Edited by Karin

• 1 month later...
Guest Smartmon101

Here it is in Spanish!

Estamos conectado....Ahora hablamos.

Hope this helps - sound like you are enjoying a pretty awesome school project - Enjoy it!

Mandarin:

We are connected---我们都相连,

Now communicate---现在大家沟通吧',

Thanks--this would have been great to have when we did it, and I'm going to save this in case something like this comes up again :).

I would say:

Estamos conectados

ahora a comunicarse

Hmm, I wonder how her Spanish teacher would say it?