Menu

"Minecraft" as learning tool?

BoZeeCo's Mom

Is anyone else's kid OBSESSED with this game? We don't watch any TV, and I never let them on the computer, but my husband lets him play sometimes (with him) on the weekends. I'm wondering if anyone else has made some lessons around this game. I need to take the time to understand it better, but I'm thinking of coming up with some activities for him to do in his little zone.

For those that don't know, Minecraft is a very basic, pixilated, and benign building game.

:thumbup: My dd is 9 and she LOVES it. She has decided that if she cannot be a veterinarian she wants to be an engineer! Our ds is 18 and he got her hooked on it when he bought himself a membership.

She has started using unifix cubes to build the stuff she makes on MC. I find the strangest characters on our kitchen table :D

Unifix cubes, you say? Consider them added to my amazon order. Thanks for the tip. It is a surprisingly amazing game, isn't it? My 5 year old is so motivated to learn because of it. He announced he wanted to "really read" the other night so he can understand what his dad is saying to him in the chat window. (My husband plays on the lap top on the couch, and my son plays on the desktop computer next to him). He is constantly drawing pictures of creepers, etc.

Unifix cubes' date=' you say? Consider them added to my amazon order. Thanks for the tip. It is a surprisingly amazing game, isn't it? My 5 year old is so motivated to learn because of it. He announced he wanted to "really read" the other night so he can understand what his dad is saying to him in the chat window. (My husband plays on the lap top on the couch, and my son plays on the desktop computer next to him). He is constantly drawing pictures of creepers, etc.[/quote']

The unifix cubes were her idea. She was in the middle of a math lesson one day & used them to build a creeper. She's been asking for legos every day since then (which we had millions of but ds sold them to buy a bike lol).

It is definitely a motivator (and I will never admit to using it as a bribe ;)).

My DS found an app that provides level by level plans for building large structures. He is following the plans to develop and entire town. So I consider that pretty cool learning. But, yes- all three of mine are obsessed. We have allowed Ds to use his game as private server for the others to "live" together in a multiplayer town. (Though they get grounded off the multiplayer if they fight over things.)

We only allow our own kids to be in the town right now, though I might ask DH if it's possible to open it up to other homeschoolers sometime. That would be cool. My kids were devastated when Lego Universe closed shop. :glare:

EDUCATIONAL? HECK NO. At least if there is, the educational value is obscured by the weird emotional effect it was having on my kids. I cannot find the redeeming value in this game. My kids were so obsessed with it that our days were beginning to revolve around it. How many minutes do I get to play? How much longer till we're done with school, Mom? I wasn't playing I was watching him / her play!

:banghead: It was all the kids talked about and all they wanted to do. They were basically living in a virtual reality. They lost interest in all other activities, and they would get in weird fights with each other and their friends over it (they would skype with friends and play online on a server that my son set up). No other game, media, or toy has overtaken my kids like Minecraft.

The rule in our house is "If it makes you ugly, it's time to quit." They were ugly, all right, so we removed the beast from them for more than two weeks. We magically got "our kids" back. It was the weirdest thing. Now they are allowed two hours of Mine Craft on the weekends only, and sometimes they don't have time for the whole allowance. This seems to have solved the problem, and at the slightest sign of pushing the limits or disagreement or anything it is "poof!"...gone!

Edited by Hedgehogs4

EDUCATIONAL? HECK NO. At least if there is, the educational value is obscured by the weird emotional effect it was having on my kids. I cannot find the redeeming value in this game. My kids were so obsessed with it that our days were beginning to revolve around it. How many minutes do I get to play? How much longer till we're done with school, Mom? I wasn't playing I was watching him / her play!

:banghead: It was all the kids talked about and all they wanted to do. They were basically living in a virtual reality. They lost interest in all other activities, and they would get in weird fights with each other and their friends over it (they would skype with friends and play online on a server that my son set up). No other game, media, or toy has overtaken my kids like Minecraft.

The rule in our house is "If it makes you ugly, it's time to quit." They were ugly, all right, so we removed the beast from them for more than two weeks. We magically got "our kids" back. It was the weirdest thing. Now they are allowed two hours of Mine Craft on the weekends only, and sometimes they don't have time for the whole allowance. This seems to have solved the problem, and at the slightest sign of pushing the limits or disagreement or anything it is "poof!"...gone!

I get it. I really do. My son would love to discuss it for hours, and it is really bordering on insanity. He is only able to play it on weekends, with his dad. And we are probably only at 2 hours, also. I am at the point where I see the slippery slope, but I also appreciate that it is a great thing that he is doing something with his dad that is special for them. Of course, I am much more excited when they go for bike rides together, but I'm ok with what is going on now. I just really want to direct it more, and maybe tie it in with SOTW. We'll see how it goes.