Menu

question for bread bakers

I love baking healthy bread and did so frequently before we had children. I would like to get back to it but the one thing that is really holding me back is slicing it lol. Dh and I both are not thrilled with the idea of slicing each time we make a sandwich or whatever. It's especially hard if I'm also managing/holding the baby. (and we hope to have at least one more) *edited to clarify - I don't need a new bread knife or slicing instructions. I'm just trying to keep sandwich/toast making a one handed job, or something my oldest can do without help.

So I have read several times here that some of you slice the whole loaf in advance. Is it harder to keep the bread fresh? What about something like this? link Or how are you storing bread?

What about extra loaves? I know many people freeze them, or even freeze a sliced loaf - but Dh hates the taste of bread that has been frozen. Perhaps I am just stuck with making a couple of loaves at a time?

Thanks in advance for any input. I know it may sound silly and I could probably work around it myself, but DH makes at least half the sandwiches around here and I want a system/plan that doesn't create more work for him. Or have him prefering store bread.

Edited by kesmom

What about extra loaves? I know many people freeze them, or even freeze a sliced loaf - but Dh hates the taste of bread that has been frozen. Perhaps I am just stuck with making a couple of loaves at a time?

This is one problem my family had. A single loaf of fresh bread would disappear as soon as it emerged from the oven. Two loaves could get us through the day, with a slice or two for toast the next day. If I made enough bread to last more than one day, nobody would eat it. :confused: Whether it was sliced or unsliced, frozen or not, it was different and unappealing.

I love baking healthy bread and did so frequently before we had children. I would like to get back to it but the one thing that is really holding me back is slicing it lol. Dh and I both are not thrilled with the idea of slicing each time we make a sandwich or whatever. It's especially hard if I'm also managing/holding the baby. (and we hope to have at least one more)

So I have read several times here that some of you slice the whole loaf in advance. Is it harder to keep the bread fresh? What about something like this? link Or how are you storing bread?

Thanks in advance for any input. I know it may sound silly and I could probably work around it myself, but DH makes at least half the sandwiches around here and I want a system/plan that doesn't create more work for him. Or have him prefering store bread.

Slice up one loaf at a time--it won't last long enough to worry about freshness. I usually just make 2 loaves at a time, but I have made 4 and frozen 2. I don't slice them before I freeze them. I was worried about the taste, but I didn't notice a difference--maybe because I froze them unsliced? :confused:

If you have a good knife, slicing the bread really isn't that big of a deal--mere seconds.

Also, when you first start baking bread, it's this huge novelty and everyone in the house is obsessed with warm bread and butter:D. But after a bit, it becomes normal and people won't be hanging out in the kitchen waiting for the bread to come out of the oven--lasts a lot longer that way;).

Wow! I have something almost exactly like that but it cost around $10. I can't remember where I got it, but I've had it for more than 10 years.