Menu

Which Science? Just finished Life/biology

We are finishing up our first year of home schooling for our 7th grader and he will be entering 8th grade next year. We were unable to homeschool him before then, because he wasn't "ours" until then. But the real issue has been deciding what to cover and when since we didn't follow the 4 year classical cycle. We decided on Biology this year because he was interested, it was my favorite subject, and my 3rd grader was also learning life science so I thought it would be the simple choice. Now we have to make a decision. I don't believe he will go back to public school, and even if he did, it is rare for a student, not a science major, to take 4 years of high school science. But I know I want him to have one more year of biology in high school (hopefully at our local CC since I know the adjunct and she is fabulous) SO I need to decide between Earth/Astronomy, Physical Science, or Chemistry. I am leaning towards physics, thinking that he will likely have another year of that in high school and 8th would be a decent intro, but then again, Chemistry is often ignored, I know I never took it, and know little about it. What say the Hive?

My dd is much younger, but I have to say I am so glad we did chemistry before biology - it is making it so much easier! She understands atoms, the periodic table, and bonds, and so when these things come up in biology or earth science now, they totally make sense to her. I really see the benefit of getting an good understanding of the basic building blocks of matter before trying to figure out how it all fits together . . . so another vote for chemistry.

I would go with Physical Science (Integrated Physics and Chemistry to be specific). The reason I would do that is that it gives an introduction to both Chemistry and Physics but doesn't require the level of math that a full Chemistry or Physics class would. I would hold off on Chemistry until he is ready to do it with math. You could go with a Conceptual Physics class if you think he would prefer that and then hit Physics again late in high school to do it with math.

Debbie

I would go with Physical Science (Integrated Physics and Chemistry to be specific). The reason I would do that is that it gives an introduction to both Chemistry and Physics but doesn't require the level of math that a full Chemistry or Physics class would. I would hold off on Chemistry until he is ready to do it with math. You could go with a Conceptual Physics class if you think he would prefer that and then hit Physics again late in high school to do it with math.

Debbie

:iagree:

If you think you will homeschool for high school then I would suggest making a plan of what sciences you absolutely want to cover before he graduates. Then work backwards by putting which science will be done in which grade, starting from 12th grade. Keep in mind that math drives science. How are his algebra skills?? To do integrated physics & chem, he will need to take algebra concurrently. Even though it is "introductory", there are lots of formulas (especially in physics portion), where he needs to understand how to manipulate a formula. In chem, he'll need to have a good understanding of how to use the factor label method (again, using algebra concepts). I agree with other posters that phys science could be a good choice as long as his math skills match. If they are not quite there, then perhaps a middle school level earth science might be better. Many kids don't take integrated physics/chem until 9th grade because that's when they are taking algebra. However, there are middle school level physical sciences (like Apologia) that are designed for pre-algebra level students. So, if you choose the "physical science" route check your texts carefully.

HTH,

Jennifer

My oldest son's progression (interested in engineering) will look like this:

6th -- Physical Science

7th -- Biology (intro -- no chem)

8th -- Chemistry OR Conceptual Physics (math dependent for Chem)

9th -- Chemistry OR Conceptual Physics (whatever he didn't do in 8th)

10th -- Advanced Biology

11th -- Advanced Chem or Physics (his choice, hopefully at CC)

12th -- Advanced Science (his choice, hopefully at CC)

My oldest dd (not interested in engineering) will look more like this:

6th -- General Science with Astronomy

7th -- Physical Science

8th -- Biology (intro -- no chem)

9th -- Chemistry

10th -- Advanced Biology

11th -- Marine Biology (as advanced as I can make it -- or at CC)

12th -- Advanced Science (her choice -- hopefully at CC)