Menu

Science for 6th grade

Help me pick my science! Pretty please! I am so tired of looking at all the options and searching through threads. Gosh, it really seems like an issue a lot of us struggle with. And I just can not settle on anything.

I have read the great threads on science the WTM way or the one by Ruth in NZ , and I think they sound fabulous. The issue for me is actual implementation. Science falls by the wayside here. We just started the Apologia Human Body book and my ds likes it, but at this point I am not totally sure about retention.

Right now I am leaning towards SL Science, BJU 6, or Apologia General Science. Reviews say the Apologia is extremely dry and I am worried about SL being too light. I haven't found much info on BJU other than that it is obviously a textbook approach.

What I do want is a christian creation based curriculum and I want one that I am not attempting to implement crazy experiments with supplies I do not have on hand.

Any help?

If you can swing the videos, I highly recommend BJU 6 w/Mrs. Vick. Phenomenal! Grade 6 can be considered a "general science" course and is a great foundation for upcoming upper levels of science. Mrs. Vick will keep your child on track, teach him how to study, and do all of the teaching for you. It could not be any easier, and science will certainly get done! BJU Science 6 gave my ds a love for science that will last him his lifetime.

HTH.

p.s. I have the Science 6 book. If you want it, pm me and I'll send it to you for free.

If you can swing the videos, I highly recommend BJU 6 w/Mrs. Vick. Phenomenal! Grade 6 can be considered a "general science" course and is a great foundation for upcoming upper levels of science. Mrs. Vick will keep your child on track, teach him how to study, and do all of the teaching for you. It could not be any easier, and science will certainly get done! BJU Science 6 gave my ds a love for science that will last him his lifetime.

HTH.

p.s. I have the Science 6 book. If you want it, pm me and I'll send it to you for free.

Thanks for the offer! And I will have to look in to the videos. Are they something you buy as package with Science 6?

My oldest has been using BJU 6 this year, and we both LOVE it. I think it's a great overall program, and it's not preachy (which I've found with many creation based texts). We are going to continue with BJU science next year.

Thanks for your opinion! I have been leaning towards BJU today ;)

• 1 month later...
Help me pick my science! Pretty please! I am so tired of looking at all the options and searching through threads. Gosh, it really seems like an issue a lot of us struggle with. And I just can not settle on anything.

I have read the great threads on science the WTM way or the one by Ruth in NZ , and I think they sound fabulous. The issue for me is actual implementation. Science falls by the wayside here. We just started the Apologia Human Body book and my ds likes it, but at this point I am not totally sure about retention.

Right now I am leaning towards SL Science, BJU 6, or Apologia General Science. Reviews say the Apologia is extremely dry and I am worried about SL being too light. I haven't found much info on BJU other than that it is obviously a textbook approach.

What I do want is a christian creation based curriculum and I want one that I am not attempting to implement crazy experiments with supplies I do not have on hand.

Any help?

Do you happen to have a link to Ruth's science thread? Thanks!!

Help me pick my science! Pretty please! .... The issue for me is actual implementation. Science falls by the wayside here. .... and I want one that I am not attempting to implement crazy experiments with supplies I do not have on hand.

Danybug,

Have you thought about your goals for science for your children? Is your 6th grader interested in a science career? Or are you just looking for general education? I ask you this because, of course, it will influence how you educate your children.

At a bare minimum, IMHO all high school graduates need a level of scientific knowledge that will enable them to 1) be a responsible, voting citizen who can evaluate scientific issues in the news (cloning, nuclear testing, environmental issues, etc) and 2) not be taken in by pseudoscience in the matter of health and consumer products (putting magnets in your water makes it healthier). #1 requires a broad knowledge of science and #2 requires an understanding of the scientific method (and there is overlap of course)

SWB lays out 1 topic per year, which has served my children well to give them a broad education in science: Biology, Earth science, Chemistry, Physics. From the point of view of a YEC, only Biology and Earth Science need any sort of special curricula. So at 6th grade, you have 3 years to get his general knowledge up to speed before hitting High School science. So where are his weaknesses? Focus your attention on whatever he knows the least about. Also, think about documentaries not just textbooks (Modern Marvels are especially good). My kids probably have learned an equal amount from each. Look at the news. Inspire his studies by showing him what science is in the news. Is there pesticide leaking into the ground water? Has Cern discovered a new particle? Perhaps realizing how much you need to understand to be able to understand a newspaper will motivate both him and you to make science happen.

As for the scientific method, you can 1) wait until high school for this if you need to, and just focus for the middle years on general knowledge. If you are interested in the scientific method, you can 2) do canned demonstrations/experiments (just make sure you explain the difference between this and a true scientific research). If you never seem to get them done, and you are not interested in the larger scale projects that my family does, you can 3) watch them on YouTube, 4) take a week every year and do LOTS of experiments just during experiment week (drop everything else). Or you can 5) buy experiment kits and enjoy them throughout the year and not worry if they match up with your general knowledge studies.

I think if you have goals, you are more likely to find the time and energy for science.

Ruth in NZ

ETA: for those interested, I am writing up this year's science investigation here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361740

Edited by lewelma