Menu

Where to go with 6 year old after finishing WWE3?

Halcyon

My 6 year old will be finished with WWE3 by this summer sometime. He is not ready for WWS (older son is using it), but I am not sure I want to do WWE4 with him--he may be ready for a change at this point, but not sure where to go with him. He is having no trouble with WWE3, FWIW, but the logic and thinking required in WWS will likely be above his head (he is turning 7 in the middle of the summer).

Can someone recommend where we might turn next? He enjoys writing fiction, and we've been incorporating BW philosophy into his work, so conceivably we could focus on creative writing for a while. He also enjoys creating his own comic books. I do think, though, that he needs the discipline of more academic writing.

Suggestions appreciated.

I haven't seen the book (at least not the inside of it), but have you looked at the creative writing book by SWB? Just a thought.

Oh, that's an idea. I forgot about that. I bet he would like that. Thank you!

ETA: Just took a quick look at the inside. It looks like it would be pretty challenging. Not impossible...but maybe over his head. Any other classical writing curriculums that others might suggest?

Edited by Halcyon

:bigear: - because I have a similar problem.

Have you done MCT Town, yet? I have been looking at Writing Tales since it adds in some creative writing to the rewrites. I would like to save WWS until at least 4th, but I have a lot of time to fill before then.

We're slowly working out way through Grammar Island. He's also working in KISS so we alternate. I will take a look at Writing Tales..ty!

ETA: This looks interesting. For a 6 year old who finished WWE3, would you recommend Level 1 or 2? His spelling is excellent, his grammar is pretty good, his vocabulary is good for his age but I can see there are words in both books that he wouldn't know. We would continue with KISS grammar, so I wouldn't need a lot of grammar work, or spelling work.

Edited by Halcyon

We're slowly working out way through Grammar Island. He's also working in KISS so we alternate. I will take a look at Writing Tales..ty!

ETA: This looks interesting. For a 6 year old who finished WWE3, would you recommend Level 1 or 2? His spelling is excellent, his grammar is pretty good, his vocabulary is good for his age but I can see there are words in both books that he wouldn't know. We would continue with KISS grammar, so I wouldn't need a lot of grammar work, or spelling work.

I can't recommend, because I haven't used it yet. I think that I will try WT1 when we need a break from WWE and MCT.

What about just writing across the curriculum? Then pull some passages for dictation? You could introduce key word outlining and do some passage rewrites too. This is pretty much what we are doing after ploughing through WWE1 & 2 and finding once I'd read through 3 it was redundant.

We are loosely doing some work with IEW and I think I will get Galore Park soon too just to mix things up a bit on the creative side.

What about just writing across the curriculum? Then pull some passages for dictation? You could introduce key word outlining and do some passage rewrites too. This is pretty much what we are doing after ploughing through WWE1 & 2 and finding once I'd read through 3 it was redundant.

We are loosely doing some work with IEW and I think I will get Galore Park soon too just to mix things up a bit on the creative side.

What Galore Park are you thinking of?

How about LOGOS school Imitations in Writing?

It is setup very similar to CW, but I like it better personally.

http://www.logospressonline.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=18&pg=1

I've never looked at this, until now. Can you tell me a bit more about how you use it? I am looking at the samples but must be dense today. Or maybe it's the fact that I QUIT COFFEE A WEEK AGO!!!!:001_smile: (go me!)

I've never looked at this, until now. Can you tell me a bit more about how you use it? I am looking at the samples but must be dense today. Or maybe it's the fact that I QUIT COFFEE A WEEK AGO!!!!:001_smile: (go me!)

Cannot imagine no Coffee, but go you!

Sure. I had Aesop's Fables which is the first in the series.

First Day he would read the fable silently and underline vocab words. Then, I would read it out loud to him and ask him to retell it in his own words. He would list the characters in the Fable, and also do the vocab. He would outline the Fable and then have to write his own version of the Fable. The next day, he would edit his story and write a final draft.

I only used it 2 days a week. We went through the Fables like this.

Thanks, good to know. I was curious what you thought about it.

So it's not just a lot of Pre-Algebra books you own....:D

Bwahahaha!:lol: In my defense, I don't own a ton of writing books. Just Kilgallon, WWE, Unjournaling and The Writer's Jungle. Now SCIENCE books...don't get me started....

I like Kilgallon. We used it for a bit, but older didn't love it. Maybe it was his age at the time, maybe it didn't suit him. I am going to try it again, and try to fold in younger, too and see how it goes. I do think that a parent who is a reasonably strong writer could use this as a guide without relying too heavily on it. We try to do a lot of rewriting here; it's useful for my boys, particularly my older, to see how big a difference can be made by rearranging a sentence, or using a different verb.

Right now I'm leaning towards Writing Tales. It looks like it's his level, it will be nice to break things up for him (he likes novelty) and it will allow us to continue with the classical approach. I do like The Creative Writer, but I am not sure he's old enough for it yet.

Edited by Halcyon

Cannot imagine no Coffee, but go you!

Sure. I had Aesop's Fables which is the first in the series.

First Day he would read the fable silently and underline vocab words. Then, I would read it out loud to him and ask him to retell it in his own words. He would list the characters in the Fable, and also do the vocab. He would outline the Fable and then have to write his own version of the Fable. The next day, he would edit his story and write a final draft.

I only used it 2 days a week. We went through the Fables like this.

How old was he when he used it? It looks like Writing Tales is similar but a bit more approachable for a younger age? He responds well to friendly format (unlike his older brother, who cares not a whit for format!)

How old was he when he used it? It looks like Writing Tales is similar but a bit more approachable for a younger age? He responds well to friendly format (unlike his older brother, who cares not a whit for format!)

I used it with my oldest, who is not gifted academically, at 9. My middle son has severe dyslexia so I haven't begun anything besides phonics still, but he is gifted in math. My youngest is 3, I am saving it for her.

I used Writing Tales with oldest when he was 10. It is similar. Writing Tales is a lot more book. LOGOS books are very small, just the basics. It depends if you like a lot of direction for yourself, or a little. Writing Tales has a lot more grammar. You would need a seperate Grammar program is you use Writing Imatations. I do agree that Writing Tales is "friendlier" feelling. My oldest prefers to just get it done, he doesn't like fluff.

I used it with my oldest, who is not gifted academically, at 9. My middle son has severe dyslexia so I haven't begun anything besides phonics still, but he is gifted in math. My youngest is 3, I am saving it for her.

I used Writing Tales with oldest when he was 10. It is similar. Writing Tales is a lot more book. LOGOS books are very small, just the basics. It depends if you like a lot of direction for yourself, or a little. Writing Tales has a lot more grammar. You would need a seperate Grammar program is you use Writing Imatations. I do agree that Writing Tales is "friendlier" feelling. My oldest prefers to just get it done, he doesn't like fluff.

Do you mean Imitation in Writing? We're using KISS Grammar and I plan on continuing it, but we could always gloss over the grammar portion of WT, or use it as a supplement. I actually don't want something with a lot of direction...but something fairly student led would be good...and WT looks student led, yes?

I am going to peek at LOGOS books.

I'm looking at Junior English 2 or 3 just need to go through the sample chapters a little more closely. Some of the writing looks fun. I think my DD would enjoy the change of pace. The Galore Park website has very thorough sample chapters.

These look very good. (For some reason, I always am attracted to the layout of Galore Park books, and their English is no exception). It seems quite a bit different from Writing Tales in the approach...more "English as an entire subject" than writing alone, yes? Thank you for pointing these out to me.

These look very good. (For some reason, I always am attracted to the layout of Galore Park books, and their English is no exception). It seems quite a bit different from Writing Tales in the approach...more "English as an entire subject" than writing alone, yes? Thank you for pointing these out to me.

Yes, that's right. It does approach English as an entire LA program (except spelling i believe) however i think for the price and the amount of writing included if you did every exercise it's well worth it. We will just use it to pick and choose what takes our fancy to complement what we are already using and to keep things interesting.

Thanks Amber. Another one that I am thinking of (since we already will be doing KISS Grammar and MCT and don't need more grammar) is either Maxwell's First Book in English or Ida Brautigam's Progressive Composition. I could create a work text incorporating lessons from both of these books, and I think my son would enjoy them a lot. Creative writing with a fair bit of structure. Thoughts?

We are really enjoying the Maxwell book. I've not looked at the others because I didn't know about them. I will now. Maxwell covers a bit of grammar too but you could pick and choose the lessons and certainly if you create your own work text it would work it really well :D

Thank you! I just started a thread listing all the composition vintage books I've found that I liked.